Hi can i make jardine parrot never bite me if i get him as a baby

Yousef6394u

Feb 20, 2024
Hi guys this year I am going to get my first parrot but i am thinking about jardine parrot he is great for me but parrot but can I make him never or rarely bite me if I get him as a baby parrot and hand feed him because I asked another of people about that parrot and a large part of them that their jardine bite them but all if them got their parrots as adults or rescued parrot

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Getting a parrot as a baby can potentially help you develop a better relationship with your bird. It also means that you can set boundaries early on and make sure that your bird never suffers abuse or neglect ( two things that can cause a parrot to be more likely to bite). However, there is absolutely no way to ensure that a parrot will never bite. A bird bites because they are scared or upset or they don’t like something. The best way to keep from being bitten is to learn to read your parrot’s body language and moods as well as what they like or don’t like, so that you can tell when they are likely to bite and avoid it. Bites are more often the owner’s fault than the bird’s. I hope you have many happy years with your parrot ❤️

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
As friend Jcas says, there is no way to 100% guarantee a parrot will never or rarely bite. Owning any parrot means there is always a chance of a bite. Heck my own Amazon, Salty, a very well-behaved parrot, will nip me occasionally because I ignored his body language telling me to BACK OFF!

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Sorry but this made me smile. Parrots bite? Why else did I opt for Syd with his little beak? I have said this many times but the best bite is the one avoided. Syd was brilliant when I first had him at 14 weeks hand reared. He was pretty gentle bearing in mind that all his exploration like a baby went to his mouth. Then he hit puberty and there was no discussion. Any available area of skin came under attack.
Fortunately the folk here had sympathy and help and with the aid of gloves, scarf and even hats/hoods I survived. More to the point so did Syd. For a while there it was touch and go, but we both got through those unhappy days and now he will open his beak wide and get a glint in his eye if something is not to his liking but a quick 'no biting' from me and he thinks better of it.

The difference of course is that at present it's all theoretical so it is hard to imagine how much you will fall in love with your feather ball once you have him and a big part of love is forgiveness. Those occasional bite mishaps will be much more bearable when you know and understand what caused them and how to prevent them with your best feathered friend. Good luck - don't overthink it, just enjoy.

Most Reactions

Latest posts