Hi from HI!

birdsftw

Sep 20, 2016
O'ahu, HI
Parrots
Red-bellied parrot
I used to belong to several parrot forums years ago but quit once the drama and immaturity became too much to deal with. Thought I'd give it another shot and try on this forum. Years ago there were very few Hawaii people that were active in parrot forums (and if you saw how the average breeders and owners care for their birds you'd understand why) but I'm hoping as the years passed there are more that I can connect with.

I have a Red-Bellied parrot and we are looking to adopt (not buy) another bird, preferably a Poicephalus or Pionus but they are rare here so I'm not holding my breath. Luckily we are patient and willing to wait for the bird that is right for our family.

Anyway, nice to meet you all!

OP
birdsftw

birdsftw

Sep 20, 2016
O'ahu, HI
Parrots
Red-bellied parrot
Hi Flboy and thanks!

Not sure why you directed me to that thread...?

OP
birdsftw

birdsftw

Sep 20, 2016
O'ahu, HI
Parrots
Red-bellied parrot
$150 for a cockatiel is not an adoption fee. They are selling their bird and trying to recoup costs. We refuse to buy and will only do true adoption.

Also, I posted in my other thread that my husband is allergic to cockatiels.

Thanks anyway.

CDavis

Aug 7, 2016
North Carolina
Parrots
Goose: Yellowsided Greencheek Conure
Dobby: Turquoise GCC
Bonkers: RLA
It will be difficult to find a free rehome even the rescues will charge you a rehoming fee. But welcome could you post a pic of your red bellied I don't think I've ever seen one.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
$150 for a cockatiel is not an adoption fee. They are selling their bird and trying to recoup costs. We refuse to buy and will only do true adoption.

Also, I posted in my other thread that my husband is allergic to cockatiels.

Thanks anyway.

Fully agree!
Allergies make this a no go on it's own! Lovebirds fall into the dander/powder group too, but I understand how allergies pick and choose. I, also, am a long time sufferer!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Greetings, and welcome to the forums! I applaud your desire to adopt, and hope you will make the right connection locally!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Welcome, I hope you enjoy your stay! Best of luck with your search!

OP
birdsftw

birdsftw

Sep 20, 2016
O'ahu, HI
Parrots
Red-bellied parrot
Thanks for the welcome, all!

If we were adopting from a LEGITIMATE rescue that had a rehoming fee to help keep their place running, we would have no problem with that. Unfortunately there are zero legitimate rescues on our island. Until then, we will be patient. We want to adopt from someone who truly wants to find a good home for their bird rather than giving the bird to the first person who can pay their "rehoming" fee. My RB was given to us free because the owner felt we were an excellent home and my husbands late parrot was adopted for $50. The rehoming fee was much higher at the time but once they met us and interviewed us, they knew we would take good care of the bird and they dropped it to $50.

As for lovebirds falling into the dander group, they are so teeny tiny that they don't produce as much and they don't have that powder coating on their feathers. My late lovebird cuddled with my husband daily on his face with no reactions. But we fostered cockatiels on three separate occasions and my husbands eyes were red and itchy and his nose red and watery. LOL

Again, we're patient and are prepared to wait a LONG time since most people want to recoup costs rather than focus on finding an actual good home. Rehoming fees definitely DO NOT equal good home.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Welcome to the Forums! What CherylCali said... would love to see your darling!

Oh and... HI from OH!

OP
birdsftw

birdsftw

Sep 20, 2016
O'ahu, HI
Parrots
Red-bellied parrot
All my pics are on my phone and I browse the forum on my laptop (phone screen is too small to comfortably reply to threads) so I'll have to do some transferring before I can post pics. I did add my Avatar though.

Dani

Oct 29, 2013
I have a red bellied parrot too yours is much brighter green than my Penelope ... welcome!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Dani

Oct 29, 2013
7ddaac3b9a104e7b5eac44e22cd060ba.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Latest posts