Hi from the Buckeye state!

MrsBigE

Oct 19, 2016
Media
Pickerington Ohio
Parrots
Sun Conure
Umbrella Cockatoo

Hi everyone!! I'm a new member and wanted to introduce myself and say" hi!.
My name is Peg and I'm from Pickerington OH. We're smallish community outside of Columbus.
We currently have one bird, a young Sun Conure named Spezi (pronounced Spet-zi) and have a second bird on the way, he/she is an Umbrella Cockatoo.
We anticipate she will be coming home about Feb or March, whenever she's fully weaned.
I love animals, almost all of them but I'm not partial to reptiles. I've had some interesting pets such as a African Pygmy Hedgehog but have only had experience with one bird before we got the Conure and that was a Budgie named "Jevin." Unfortunately Jevin passed away a short while ago from Congestive Heart Failure. It was devastating but we learned so much from that bird about love and how great birds are as pets.
I've been researching Cockatoos for over a year but only recently felt I had enough information to make a decision about whether or not to go forward and bring one into our life. I'm retired and home all the time so we'll have plenty of time together and quite frankly I'm so looking forward to spending time teaching her and working with her. I know she'll keep me busy and she'll be good company. My husband works from home so he'll be here as well. The only other person in the house is our daughter who is 16. She'll be leaving for college fall of 2018. We do have 2 Shih Days but they don't post much attention to the bird.
I look forward to reading all the good information that you saged bird owners have to offer. I know that there is still much to learn and we want to get it right and give our bird great lives.
Thank you for allowing us to be a part of your community. :white1:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hello and welcome to the forum! How exciting that you are getting a new baby:)
I love Spezi's name, very unusual.
I'm so happy you joined us and I look forward to hearing more about Spezi and your new baby. I'd love to see pictures!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Hi Peg, welcome to the forums, thanks for joining! You must be anxiously awaiting an Umbrella; is the aviary local with visiting privileges?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. is that name short for Spetzle , the German home made noodles?

OP
MrsBigE

MrsBigE

Oct 19, 2016
Media
Pickerington Ohio
Parrots
Sun Conure
Umbrella Cockatoo
Spezi is German but I believe it's a drink. My daughter is in 3rd year German so
We never know what she'll come up with.
We do have visitation privileges at the aviary storefront which is just a few miles away. Right now, since she's still so young our baby is primarily located at the owners home but last Sunday Michelle brought her to the the storefront and I got to spend time with her. Being so young yet they don't want to transport her back and forth more than once a week so I'll be visiting with her every Sunday until she's older and Can go from the owners home to the storefront more often

Attachments

• EAY_0643.jpg
    EAY_0643.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 157
  • EAY_0644.jpg
    EAY_0644.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 173

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Welcome! Glad you found us!
*Patagonian hugszsz from the Cleveland area*

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Wow, your baby is beautiful, thanks for posting the pictures. So nice to watch your bird develop in a safe environment. A properly weaned and socialized cockatoo offers the best chance for a successful integration with your family.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
My apologies, Peg! I don't know how I missed your introduction, please forgive my lack of manners. I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your budge.

Congratulations! A baby Umbie, you must be beyond thrilled! He is darling, thanks for posting pics, so sweet! It will be fun to watch him grow!

We would love to see pics of your Sun Conure if you'd like to share.

Last edited:

Loko

Oct 1, 2016
Miami
Parrots
Sun Conure - Loco
You have a beautiful baby coming! Welcome and I look forward to hearing about her, I bet you cant wait. Cockatoos are such drama queens youre going to have a great time.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Spezi is German but I believe it's a drink. My daughter is in 3rd year German so
We never know what she'll come up with.
We do have visitation privileges at the aviary storefront which is just a few miles away. Right now, since she's still so young our baby is primarily located at the owners home but last Sunday Michelle brought her to the the storefront and I got to spend time with her. Being so young yet they don't want to transport her back and forth more than once a week so I'll be visiting with her every Sunday until she's older and Can go from the owners home to the storefront more often

Its been a few years and my German is getting rusty, but I think it is known as Fanta Soft Drink, Spezi! Its like a orange soda with a kick of cola to pop the flavor it bit. So your Parrot is a pleasant drink with a little sprint!

Hey, isn't Buckeye a Tree? Just a bit of Northern Humor there! :D

OP
MrsBigE

MrsBigE

Oct 19, 2016
Media
Pickerington Ohio
Parrots
Sun Conure
Umbrella Cockatoo
Two, you are correct. A Buckeye is the useless nut of a Horse Chestnut tree. The folks up north refer to all of us as "Useless Nuts.". The nut is poisonous but really pretty and the tree is beautiful.
I love those up north jokes.... I just don't like Wolverines!! :p

Most Reactions

Latest posts