Hi! I'm New

squirrlsong

Jul 21, 2019
Parrots
GCC - Mike
Umbrella - JP
My name is Molly, and I'm new to this forum.

I've loved parrots since I was little and now that I'm an adult (24) who is moving into their first apartment I'm researching the heck out of birds to try and work my way up to getting one has an adult. I had a childhood Cockatiel who sadly passed away when I was a senior in high school. I have bird experience I guess.

I want to open my home up to a Cockatiel since I think they'd do best with me. I'd love a larger bird but I'm not sure if they'd do okay with an apartment, though I am home more often than not.

Mind you this is future talk here, I'm still waiting for my apartment to be opened up and to move in (soon!) and I'd wait until I had an entire set up until I ever took an animal home.

A little about me: I work as a respite provider for a young autistic gal most days after school from around 3-7 (she'd never be around my bird though!). I live in Northern New England, USA and love it. I'm a homebody and an introvert.

If you have any ideas of good apartment birds or think I'm on the right track with a cockatiel than please tell me so! Other than that I look forward to getting to know you all!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome Molly, thanks for a terrific introduction! Glad to see you research and prepare for an eventual companion. Another cockatiel seems ideal, though many members in similar situations have conures. Hands-on experience at pet stores, rescues, or private parties may help with the decision.

OP
squirrlsong

squirrlsong

Jul 21, 2019
Parrots
GCC - Mike
Umbrella - JP
Hey, thank you! I'd love a Cockatiel again, so that's probably what I'll end up going with. :) Thank you so much for the reply. I try and do my research with everything I do. Being prepared is best I think.

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
SI Eclectus Female, Ellie; RS/SI Eclectus Male, Bertie (both adopted as rescue/re-home)
Welcome Molly. We are glad that you have joined us. Whilst you wait, perhaps this would be a good time to do a 'recheck' on type of bird for 'apartment living'. You will find heaps of info under species specifics as well as the general information section. Ask questions as needed...someone will know the answer or point you in the right direction.:)

Last edited:
OP
squirrlsong

squirrlsong

Jul 21, 2019
Parrots
GCC - Mike
Umbrella - JP
Hey, thanks. It'll be a long wait, and I'm glad to do the research. Once I'm settled and have settled on a parrot species it's all about finding one in my area! Long down the line though, but I think researching might open some options for me.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Hey Molly, welcome! Sweet introduction. I think another cockatiel is an excellent idea, they’re great birds. I also wholeheartedly agree with all of Scott’s advice, at least meet a few conures in person if possible. Have fun searching and researching. Looking forward to sharing your journey.

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
SI Eclectus Female, Ellie; RS/SI Eclectus Male, Bertie (both adopted as rescue/re-home)
Happy searching....in the meantime have some fun as well...check out the games room...we are playing 'change one letter' at the moment:D.

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Welcome to you! I agree that a cockatiel is a great choice, also green cheeks are pretty apartment friendly. Lots of great info here, hope to hear more as you get closer to a decision :)

munami

Apr 13, 2019
Ottawa, ON
Parrots
Luna // F // Whiteface Pearl Cockatiel
Welcome to the forum Molly! I wish you the best of luck on moving in. That's always a grueling experience for me lol. Honestly, I always recommend cockatiel regardless because I just love my Luna so much. I hope you find the appropriate bird for you regardless of the species! I also hope you'll share pics when you get your buddy home!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Welcome. You're fitting right in already! I'm glad you found us.

9lhIlM0.jpg

Most Reactions

Latest posts