Oklahoma
Parrots
Minky Momo -Pineapple Conure - Age 3 - Sassy Lady

Bigsby - Age 2 - Parakeet - Handsome Boy

Archimedes - Age 13 - Blue Fronted Amazon - Newest Flock Member

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Evinrude - GCC - <3 RIP
Hello All!

My name is Taylor, I am a bird lover and I have grown to have quite the flock over the first year. Through a lot of trials and learning I've really discovered that bird ownership which was once something I really just thought was a rare occurrence was a thriving community and just how amazing, personable, and loveable these animals are.

In January of 2020 I adopted a parakeet who I named Bigsby, I got all the equipment for him and made every newbie mistake, from too small a cage to simply not quality food. After about a month with him and training him to be fairly hand tame I had to opportunity to rescue a Green Cheek Conure who I gave the name Evinrude.

Evinrude was my first experience with a "feisty" bird, she would nip, take full advantage of my fear, and definitely knew how to get her way. It was a huge wake up call at just how much I loved this bird even though it was fairly nippy. I quickly got the mentality that its not the birds fault, its my fault and things were slowly but surely getting better. I quickly went from wearing full on hawk gloves to loving this little bird in a very short time.

Unfortunately due to my inexperience and simply my stupidity she was at one point spooked from her safe space and into an area where I had a dog, the dog bit her, she survived an emergency surgery but passed in my hands the day after due to some reaction of either the anesthetic or the antibiotic.

I was distraught and disgusted with myself for allowing such a thing to happen and after all the heartbreak I realized how much I loved and craved that companionship I had with that bird. Not to say my parakeet wasnt just as loving and smart but I felt a large hole in my heart. I saved all her toys and still carry many with me either in my car or on my purse because she was a special girl and I won't let myself forget that I was the cause of such a disaster.

I took some very heavy duty precautions to make sure that my birds and my dog would never mix again.

A bit after that incident a pineapple conure came up on craigslist looking for a good home, the original owner had passed away and her mother was not in the mindset to keep the bird. I went and met Minky Momo. She didn't take to me the first day but by day 2 we were snuggling and singing and having a ball. I've had her a little over a year and its been a year of happiness for me and my two little birds. They get along fantastically and I love spending time with them! They both have such fun personalities!

Now onto yesterday! I have been researching and looking for a larger bird extensively. I had grown up around my families cockatoos but only at an age I couldnt quite remember. I love big birds and I felt I'd finally gotten the courage up to take the plunge.

I found a Blue Fronted Amazon who was about 13 years old looking for a new home. His current owner said the original owner of 10 years hadn't socialized him much and that he was pretty timid but fairly tame. He had the bird for 3 years and also hadn't done much work. I've taken to start calling him Archimedes since he didn't really have a name attached to him that I was told. He's definitely shy but he is not aggressive and I've started off by beginning target training to the point where he is fairly comfortable stepping up for a reward. I have been reading to him all morning and am about to go fill his cage with new perches, toys and healthy food for him.

I'm excited to begin my journey with this new member of the flock and continue the great relationship with my two little birds for many many years.

I hope that I'll be welcome here, as I am very much a greenhorn with a lot of things, but I believe with time, patience and trust I can give these birds a home they deserve.

:green::white1::gcc:

Kitekeeper

Jun 19, 2021
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parrots
Budgerigar (Bud), Pacific Parrotlet (Sam), Roseicollis lovebird (BJ and Turq), Linneolated parakeet (Charlie and Emma)
Hi Taylor,

Welcome to forum, I am too a newbie here.

Thank you for the nice introduction and please accept my condolences for your loss. Many years ago I also lost a pet for my dogs, which sneaked into the area where our lovely rabbit was playing. I can guess how you felt.

Also I loved to hear about that love for a biting bird full of character! Sometimes we love them no matter what, that?s the beauty of getting to know these lovely creatures. They are all unique in their own way.

It is really nice to see that you look for new companions among those that need new homes!

Regarding the Amazon, these birds can be very challenging as many may take time to overcome traumatic experiences. Sometimes they just keep clinged in some old habits, but nothing that a lot of love and patience may not cure.

I remember working in an ecological field station that use to release some recovered Amazons from illegal owners. One in particular just would not abandon the hut and follow other Amazons, he/she was just too much used to humans. It was always a very welcome visitor in the lab.

I wish you the best of luck

Cheers

K

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome aboard Taylor, my condolences for your loss of Evinrude. Most of us have made errors over time and have regrets, you are most welcome here!

Archimedes may prove an order of magnitude more challenging than your previous birds. You are well ahead of the curve acquiring him well past puberty. Suggest you read a pair of "sticky" threads from the Amazon forum: http://www.parrotforums.com/amazons/65119-i-love-amazons-going-journey.html
http://www.parrotforums.com/amazons/54250-amazon-body-language.html

OP
T

TheNoblePoptart

Jun 20, 2021
Oklahoma
Parrots
Minky Momo -Pineapple Conure - Age 3 - Sassy Lady

Bigsby - Age 2 - Parakeet - Handsome Boy

Archimedes - Age 13 - Blue Fronted Amazon - Newest Flock Member

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Evinrude - GCC - <3 RIP
Welcome aboard Taylor, my condolences for your loss of Evinrude. Most of us have made errors over time and have regrets, you are most welcome here!

Archimedes may prove an order of magnitude more challenging than your previous birds. You are well ahead of the curve acquiring him well past puberty. Suggest you read a pair of "sticky" threads from the Amazon forum: http://www.parrotforums.com/amazons/65119-i-love-amazons-going-journey.html
http://www.parrotforums.com/amazons/54250-amazon-body-language.html

Definitely will do. I spent my Sunday reading through the posts with Archimedes and getting him fairly comfortable stepping up for rewards so I can navigate him in and out of the cage and help if anything happens. He really opened up in the past day and it gives me hope that he is very curious about the world around him!

I even went ahead and printed out a copy and put it next to his cage that way I can try to decipher what's going on in that handsome green head of his!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Seems you are building a nice rapport with Archimedes! Continue rewarding but most important to advance at his pace. That can be difficult to read, but you'll recognize the occasional one step back followed by proverbial two steps forward!

Most Reactions