Hi y’all! New here and need help! 😩

Katiusciad

Dec 23, 2022
Parrots
Male blue front Amazon
Female African grey
Hi everyone I’m so happy to have found this forum! I’m not new to owning parrots but new here. So I’ll just get to the point
(I’m writing on behalf of my mom who’s the owner but I’m also a close observer)
My mom owned an 8 year old Amazon for almost a year. He came highly guarded and it took months to gain her trust.
A couple of months ago we got a 2 year old female gray. We slowly introduced keeping them separate at first in their own rooms etc….they were aware of each other but didn’t see each other right away.
After having them see each other days later they were not aggressive with each other in the least so we kept them in their own cages but moved them together in the same room. (Yes they get plenty of time outside their cages individually)
A short time after this my male Amazon started turning on my mom. He will not let her perch he won’t go on a stick he tries to bite her and chases her if he sees her approaching “their room”. The female gray has no aggression to my mom. Also the male Amazon screams for long periods of time all day long. My mom really doesn’t want to get rid of either of them but is at her wits end not to mention fearful.

Does anyone know what’s going on here? And if so what can be done?

(My best guess is the Amazon took to the gray and now turned on my mom)
If this is true what to do now short of giving one up?

Thank you in advance so much for any help!!

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Can you put them in separate rooms again? It’s a bad time of year for Amazon owners - this is is about when they start getting their seasonal hormone ramp up. It’s entirely possible in a few months he’ll be more reasonable.

What species of amazon is he? If he’s a yellow nape, double yellow head or a blue front, there will be some degree of sauciness from him every year. All parrots get hormonal but those are the “hot three”, we have a yellow nape and my partner is her preferred person. Our other amazon is an OWA who are normally mild mannered, but I am his “person” and right now he can’t stand my partner!

Do you live with your mom & the parrots? How does the amazon react to you? Is he allowed to interact with the grey at all? Is he showing any sign of affection to your other parrot?

He may still like your mom, and be chasing her away from the “threat” (the strange bird!). It’s probably best to move the grey out and “reset” - treat him like she did when she first started working with him. If he’s not bonded to your new bird, he may have seen the addition as an invasion or betrayal.

Incidentally, is he flighted? I’m not suggesting you change that, I’m just wondering how much of a threat he is (if he’s not flighted I imagine it’s easier to stay out of reach). If he’s flighted, is he dive bombing your mom?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and/or answer any questions; it may help myself and others more experienced than me give you advice on how to de-escalate the situation! Sorry to hear you/your mother is dealing with this.

OP
K

Katiusciad

Dec 23, 2022
Parrots
Male blue front Amazon
Female African grey
Can you put them in separate rooms again? It’s a bad time of year for Amazon owners - this is is about when they start getting their seasonal hormone ramp up. It’s entirely possible in a few months he’ll be more reasonable.

What species of amazon is he? If he’s a yellow nape, double yellow head or a blue front, there will be some degree of sauciness from him every year. All parrots get hormonal but those are the “hot three”, we have a yellow nape and my partner is her preferred person. Our other amazon is an OWA who are normally mild mannered, but I am his “person” and right now he can’t stand my partner!

Do you live with your mom & the parrots? How does the amazon react to you? Is he allowed to interact with the grey at all? Is he showing any sign of affection to your other parrot?

He may still like your mom, and be chasing her away from the “threat” (the strange bird!). It’s probably best to move the grey out and “reset” - treat him like she did when she first started working with him. If he’s not bonded to your new bird, he may have seen the addition as an invasion or betrayal.

Incidentally, is he flighted? I’m not suggesting you change that, I’m just wondering how much of a threat he is (if he’s not flighted I imagine it’s easier to stay out of reach). If he’s flighted, is he dive bombing your mom?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and/or answer any questions; it may help myself and others more experienced than me give you advice on how to de-escalate the situation! Sorry to hear you/your mother is dealing with this.
Thank you so much for replying. To answer your questions he is a blue fronted Amazon he does not do flight attacks as he came with a permanently injured wing and doesn’t fly so well but I bet he would if he could! I don’t live with my mom I did at one point for several months and made sure she remained his “person” but since then I visit very frequently maybe 3-4 times per week and he’s never quite liked me he does try and bite me. To be fair I’m one of those gals that just keeps trying to approach and be nice but he’s always aggressive especially lately! He has lived in the same room with the grey for maybe last two weeks and we’ve allowed them to see each other close together (one loose the other in a small carrier) since the beginning. We allowed them to “walk past each other” once and neither showed any aggression. So I’m interpreting this as a sign of affection from him to her.

We will probably go back to the beginning and keep them separate again while she cares for them individually this worked in the beginning although he still screamed a lot during this process too. We will need to try different things I guess to narrow down what works and what doesn’t. Again thank you for replying and I will keep you posted on our progress as like you said it might help others experiencing the same

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Introducing a new parrot to a flock is always a crap shoot. The flock ( and thats your mom, the parrots and you) dynamics have changed and one can never know the outcome. Sorry no words of wisdom as yet, but keep us informed!

OP
K

Katiusciad

Dec 23, 2022
Parrots
Male blue front Amazon
Female African grey
Introducing a new parrot to a flock is always a crap shoot. The flock ( and thats your mom, the parrots and you) dynamics have changed and one can never know the outcome. Sorry no words of wisdom as yet, but keep us informed!
Clearly! I had this underground knowing it might not work out! Thank you for replying I appreciate you

OP
K

Katiusciad

Dec 23, 2022
Parrots
Male blue front Amazon
Female African grey
Clearly! I had this underground knowing it might not work out! Thank you for replying I appreciate you
Hello everyone well just wanted to come back here with an update and some feedback as if I can help anyone out like y’all did that would be great. We’ve come to probably realize our original male has developed a protection role over our new female gray and now sees my mom as the outsider (sadly this isn’t what she wanted). She has to continually watch herself around him now and keeps a towel handy just in case he attacks her which happens enough. She’s decided to keep them both as they are otherwise happy and doesn’t want to give him up because she loves him. Happy new year y’all and thx again for all your help!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Welcome to the Wonderful World of Amazons and what happens when the combination of New Member, Hot Three Amazon Hormonal Season and the switching of favorites occurs.

At the Top of the Amazon Forum are two highlighted Threads (Sticky's). Both are highly recommended reading, especially for anyone with one of the Hot Three Amazons. Raise your right hand, as you and your mother are part of that Group!!

READ With Understanding the Thread at /near the top that is titled something like: Understanding Amazon Body Language!! This is a Must Read and read it again and again and again. This Thread covers the basics of Amazon Body Language and your Blue-Fronted Amazon expects you to know it like a First Language!! The second important Thread is tilted something like: I Love Amazons -... This Thread will provide a foundation for the day to day working with an Amazon and also most every other Parrot of mid to large size.

As part of a successful start-over or just day to day getting along with an Amazon, consider reading softly while seating next to the Amazon.

Most Reactions