Hi

Haskins104

Jul 19, 2017
Hello everyone I’m new to the forum and wanting to get much help as possible, I don’t actually have any birds as of yet which I’m hoping to get help on what sort of bird is going to best suit me and my family.
so my back ground is I moved to Queensland from the UK 9 months ago and in the uk ive bred barn owls and hand reared (imprinted) the young also had many Harris hawks, Gos hawks, buzzards and falcons from peregrine falcons to hybrids like pere/saker’s all birds were flown for hunting everything forms rabbits to crows etc, the only parrots or parrot ive owned was a unwanted African grey.
so my house is an active one with having 2 kids (boys) 4 and 8 years old and me and my wife so the tv is on a lot plenty of noise going on.
so my question is really is there any type of parrots or lorikeets to stay away from? We are looking for a bird that become party of are family and loves plenty of attention?
i understand that birds from the same breed can have very different personalities but and help would be very appreciated, also is there certain places to buy from and places to stay away from like pet stores? I live in Robina on the Gold Coast

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to the forums! Given your experience with birds, I'd imagine your only restrictions would be the size and type of birds appropriate for your young children. Some kids do grow up with larger birds such as macaws; that would be a parental decision for you and your wife!

Hopefully our Australian members can advise the best sources for your birds.

OP
H

Haskins104

Jul 19, 2017
Welcome to the forums! Given your experience with birds, I'd imagine your only restrictions would be the size and type of birds appropriate for your young children. Some kids do grow up with larger birds such as macaws; that would be a parental decision for you and your wife!

Hopefully our Australian members can advise the best sources for your birds.

Thanks for your reply. Not looking to go down the route of the big birds as the room i think you would need is to big for my house. So was thinking more along the lines of anything from amazon, ringneck, Alexandrine or even moustache parrot but struggling to find a breeder online in the Gold Coast area as I’m not to keen on buying a bird without at least seeing it first, plus would like to know the conditions the bird has been hand reared in.:green1::green2:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

Are there nearby rescues or animal shelters that may have your desired bird? Private party ads? I understand your reluctance to buy online, sight unseen.

OP
H

Haskins104

Jul 19, 2017
Not much about where i live but found a breeder near me that breeds eclectus parrots so just doing a little research on that species at the min.

OP
H

Haskins104

Jul 19, 2017
Eclectus are stunningly beautiful parrots. They have rather unique dietary needs but make wonderful companions.

http://www.parrotforums.com/eclectus/52737-so-you-think-you-want-eclectus.html

Just been looking into the diets like you mentioned they have very unique dietary and from what ive seen everyone seems to do something different but all claim their way is the Wright way. Think its probably best i look at something else where dietary isn’t as unique to where it may really hurt the bird and I’m comfortable my wife can understand for the times I’m not around.lol

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Eclectus diets are unique, and many of our members have shared their techniques. Most are common in that fresh veggies and fruits are the bulk of their diet, very little to no pellets or seeds.

If you are seriously interested, a good technique is to prepare large batches of food, place portions in plastic bags, and freeze. Your wife can defrost and feed with full confidence of proper treatment.

Most Reactions