Hi

skip

May 13, 2018
Hello everyone. First time on this forum and would like to let you know a little about myself and my wife. We have owned two parrots previously - a Nanday conure (for 24 yrs) and a blue-head pionus (20 yrs). Unfortunately, our pionus passed away recently and we are in the process of buying a black-head caique. I say in the process, since we are having our bathroom and basement remodeled, and we didn't want to bring a new bird into that commotion to add to the stress of being brought into a new environment. He has been hand-raised and is now 11 months old. The breeder likes to have her new babies (after weaning) get used to being around people and being handled, so the owner will be getting a bird that is used to being handled. With no experience with a caique, could you suggest a good book (or books) on the care and feeding of a caique? Thank you in advance for your assistance, and we are looking forward to talking and sharing experiences with all of you.

Skip

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Welcome to Parrot Forums!

I am certain that our caique owned members will be around shortly to provide you will additional information. Please take the time to check-out the many Forums as need everything you may need to know can be found in them.

Again, Welcome!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
What the above says...
Just use our search tab for various keywords... you'll find loads to read.
I like your style --- open-minded, enthusiastic!
Stick with us!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome aboard! Great idea to wait until the dust literally settles. Check out the Caique Forum and various others to read some great advice!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. Caique ownership is not for everyone, even past parrot parents. If he will be an only bird, then one of behaviors noted in Caiques will be eliminated, as they do not get on with other species. They have limitless energy and are clowns. Make sure to read all the posts in our Caique sub-forum, and those on other parrot based forums. Me, I like them, but we already have a fid, named Salty.

caiquewalk

Feb 16, 2018
Media
Hey Skip, welcome to the parrot forums :D

I don’t know how much money or effort you want to go into finding a book on caiques, but i read this useful book called ‘Caiques by Mary Borman’ before I brought my baby boy home.

This is also my go to site for food information. It is insanely detailed and has been proven accurate because every suggestion of top foods my Caique has gone bonkers for :)

Most Reactions