honking!

elsaandnori

Jun 4, 2021
i left winnie a few days ago for 4 days and since i have been back she has been so clingy!
i can hear her screaming when i leave the room, she did not do that before
and she keeps honking! i think she is just begging like a baby bird does (she is 5 months) but she does it all the time, even when i have just fed her formula. she did it a bit before but only when i fed her.
she bops her head up and down when she does it too.
she didn't get much attention when i was gone (it hard to find someone who will do that) so maybe she just wants lots now? she has hardly left my side since i have been back and its very hard to leave the room without her flying onto me.
I can handle the honking but i can't help but think she wants something desperately. i go over to her but she does not want to step up.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Parrots and especially Amazons have strong family social ties and when a primary member is suddenly not around, they become very concerned! In todays World of Mobile Phones that allow face to face interaction, there is not a reason for a Parrot to not see their favorite Human.

You have likely broken several Amazon Rules regarding long talkes about being gone. Not calling and saying how much you miss your Amazon. And, have not paid enough one of one time (in your Amazons mind) since you have returned. Also, young Amazons, like Human Babies, develop very strong connections and when you leave for several days, that develops a fear that you are truly gone forever.

Welcome back!

Last edited:
OP
elsaandnori

elsaandnori

Jun 4, 2021
Parrots and especially Amazons have strong family social ties and when a primary member is suddenly not around, they become very concerned! In todays World of Mobile Phones that allow face to face interaction, there is not reason for a Parrot to not see their favorite Human.

You have likely broken several Amazon Rules regarding long talkes about being gone. Not calling and saying how much you miss your Amazon. And, have not paid enough one of one time (in your Amazons mind) since you have returned. Also, young Amazons, like Human Babies, develop very strong connections and when you leave for several days, that develops a fear that you are truly gone forever.

Welcome back!
oh no, i feel terrible. is there anything i can do to help her realise i am not leaving? i was watching her sometimes on a camera in her room (thats sounds creepy i know) and i could have done a video call on it but i felt like it would be very confusing for her to hear my voice but not see me. but i guess thats not the case? i know she must get lonely as a single bird and i can see now why she has that fear of me leaving seeing that i am basically her whole flock. i know it might not work out and they could hate each other but if that wasn't the case would it help her, when we go away, if we get another amazon? (i know i say it in a way that sounds like i think it is not a big deal getting another bird but i know it is and i wanted to get another amazon eventually).

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hi there! SO in the future, start telling your 'zon you are going away for a few days (show her how many on fingers) and start at 4-5 days before you are leaving. Sounds silly but this actually helps and works. My 'zon gets very resentful if I neglect to do this, and I used to be away weekends all the time and even for 2 weeks at a time when I was traveling to China.

And only get another parrot if YOU want one, not because you think your current parrot wants a friend, because this can back fire, badly, with only 1 of the 3 common outcome scenarios being the one you sought. Plus the addition drain on time and money a second parrot represents.

OP
elsaandnori

elsaandnori

Jun 4, 2021
Hi there! SO in the future, start telling your 'zon you are going away for a few days (show her how many on fingers) and start at 4-5 days before you are leaving. Sounds silly but this actually helps and works. My 'zon gets very resentful if I neglect to do this, and I used to be away weekends all the time and even for 2 weeks at a time when I was traveling to China.

And only get another parrot if YOU want one, not because you think your current parrot wants a friend, because this can back fire, badly, with only 1 of the 3 common outcome scenarios being the one you sought. Plus the addition drain on time and money a second parrot represents.
I can see how that would help, i will do that next time!
i would like to get another parrot and i think that if they end up being a companion for winnie would be 'icing on the cake' 😁

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I can see how that would help, i will do that next time!
i would like to get another parrot and i think that if they end up being a companion for winnie would be 'icing on the cake' 😁

But what happens when they choose each other and you are the third one out and not invited to the party? After all they will see each other more than you. It all sound good, but rarely is it. Understand that costs and time as stated above increases!!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
As mentioned above, Parrots are very intune with their surroundings. When I have to go out,even for a short time,I always tell them where I'm going and for how long and they understand.
BB has a love/hate relationship with my brother. David has been gone for 2 weeks now due to surgery on his leg and BB has been sooooo quiet. He knows something is amiss.

Jim

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
If you do plan on getting a second Amazon it's better sooner rather than later.
Your bird is young and would be more likely to become friends with another YOUNG Amazon.
As for becoming more attached to the second bird and loosing the bond between you .
It has been my experience with two sets of Amazon couples as long as you continue to maintain your connection with your bird through regular attention and handling things should be fine.
Can't guaranty it as all birds are different.

Most Reactions

Latest posts