Hormonal Plucking

yashatheparakeet

Sep 24, 2022
Parrots
Indian Ringneck parakeet
Hi everyone I hope you are well.

I am desperate to see if anyone has any advice they could give me. To quickly explain, i started noticing my Indian Parakeet was plucking around May time. I actually did not think it was plucking, I just thought he was losing feathers. As time went on I noticed it got progressively worse so took him to the vet. The vet carried out all health checks and said that his health is fine and the reason he is plucking is because he doesn’t have a mate, and as a result he feels stressed so plucks himself to make him feel better. He did say that there isnt much to be done and prescribed some anti anxiety medication. Since taking the medication there hasn’t been much progress and my parrot now looks like this. I feel like he is beginning to pluck his flight feathers which of course is not good. He is acting completely normal, sleeps for 12 hours a day in darkness, has toys to play with, spends time in snd out the cage. But I really can’t look at him anymore without wanting to cry. I don’t know what else to do to make him feel better and stop plucking. I can see him physically rip out the feather coming in, he wont even give them a chance to grow out. I want to try and help him but I have no idea how. Would giving him up for adoption where he can be with other birds be better? If you were in my shoes what would you do, I’m really not sure and any advice is appreciated. Just want to preface that diet and things are no issues as I have spoken with the vet. Please help!!!

Many thanks. Linked pictures below.
47599665-7569-4AB5-9A2A-E6815ABF0852.jpeg

Attachments

• 698EE8A8-E5FC-4DD1-94A4-AAECCE7DCF39.jpeg
    698EE8A8-E5FC-4DD1-94A4-AAECCE7DCF39.jpeg
    214.8 KB · Views: 63

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Interesting response from your Vet.
Likely you Vet is not a Certified Avian Vet and as a result has likely not tested for a bacterial skin infection (less than 15% of pluckers have it) and by this time any skin test will likely show an infection. There is a cream that does provide some relief for the skin (silver sulfadiazine cream, USP 1%) but should only be applied lightly (small amounts).

Reality Check: Your sweet baby is now a plucker and what caused it is now in the past. Once your parrot is regularly plucking it becomes a habit and stopping it becomes very difficult.

Love your Parrot,

Most Reactions

Latest posts