Hormone question - how to (not?) hold my GCC

Kuke5150

Feb 4, 2022
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Hello, new to the forum.
I have a GCC, "Petey Bird", he is approaching 2-1/2 yrs old. My first and only bird.
Pete is obviously attached to me...and sort of hates everyone else. Last week or two he's gotten kind of nasty, especially when it's bed time. Two bites broke skin...and I wasn't handling it well. My obvious thought was "I'll bet he's getting hormonal" and I started reading a lot more about this phase of a bird's life.

I know to avoid petting other than head and feet...but realized the other night something I do that I'm not sure whether it is problematic. Late in the afternoon, Petey tends to like to perch on my hand (hard to work on the laptop when I can only type with one hand...). Sometimes he works his way around to my thumb, and I wrap my other fingers around the back of him, creating a little cocoon of warmth. He just sits there, snug as a bug...lifts and tucks one leg...etc. Now and then I give him head "scritches".

Is this at all a potential trigger for hormones in a bird? Would it be equivalent to "stroking his feathers" (beyond his head)? I'm not actively doing anything beyond "scritches" ... otherwise just sitting there. He just seems content - it's not like he's rubbing around or anything. But coupled with his age (reaching full maturity), the time of year, I wondered if this late afternoon cuddle activity was actually causing problems (and manifesting in his biting).

Any thoughts or guidance would be appreciated.
20220204_113013.jpg

Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
If he is really a boy bird, I don’t think that’s so stimulating. He trusts you a lot if he lets you do that. My green cheek was a boy and he rubbed his vent on toys and fed them when he was hormonal.

My Quaker insists he should cuddle under my hand and is upset if I move away. I figure if he was a wild bird he would have a friend or two to snuggle up to.

I discourage my birds from trying to feed me or rub their behinds on my hand. I think that would be very confusing and could lead to me getting bitten by a frustrated bird.

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots
Sun Conure and Umbrella Cockatoo
That gesture shouldn’t be much of a problem at all for your GCC. In fact and correct me if I’m mistaken, green cheeks are fully mature and going through puberty at 2 almost 3 years of age. So that’s out of the question. But you’re right. Hormonal fluxes just happen and something to take note of when dealing with aggression and such. But if he’s not doing it too often since u mentioned that it was a week or two ago, then don’t fret too much about it. Birds are confusing sometimes and have their nasty moments. But should he continue to resort to other aggressive behaviors and prolongs it, work on target training for redirection of unwanted behaviors as well as let your family members (since he’s not fond of them) try to handle your bird little by little with many positive reinforcement through yummy treats! High value treats a must when bonding. Also make sure his basic needs are met through varied and proper diet, limit sugar intake, and maybe when the weather warms up, or if it’s warm where u are, allow him to get some good old vitamin D from sunshine outdoors. Another great way to make him distracted and allows him to get some good mental stimulation if tame and confident enough to be in new environments.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I hold my gcc like that hasnt made her hormonal . Sometimes while I'm reading she lays on her side cupped in my hand.

Small burds like GCC hit puberty 6month- year. But any hormonal seasons can be more intense than others.

Petey the cutie!

Often things can happen thst lower their trust or make them hand shy. Usually hand feeding some treats. And pay attention to body language will get you past this

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots
Sun Conure and Umbrella Cockatoo
That gesture shouldn’t be much of a problem at all for your GCC. In fact and correct me if I’m mistaken, green cheeks are fully mature and going through puberty at 2 almost 3 years of age. So that’s out of the question. But you’re right. Hormonal fluxes just happen and something to take note of when dealing with aggression and such. But if he’s not doing it too often since u mentioned that it was a week or two ago, then don’t fret too much about it. Birds are confusing sometimes and have their nasty moments. But should he continue to resort to other aggressive behaviors and prolongs it, work on target training for redirection of unwanted behaviors as well as let your family members (since he’s not fond of them) try to handle your bird little by little with many positive reinforcement through yummy treats! High value treats a must when bonding. Also make sure his basic needs are met through varied and proper diet, limit sugar intake, and maybe when the weather warms up, or if it’s warm where u are, allow him to get some good old vitamin D from sunshine outdoors. Another great way to make him distracted and allows him to get some good mental stimulation if tame and confident enough to be in new environments.
Correction: *have gone through puberty already

OP
K

Kuke5150

Feb 4, 2022
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Thanks for your observations and guidance.
Petey has ratcheted down the beak attacks I was experiencing a few weeks ago, thankfully.
Unfortunately, our office finally re-opened on 2/14, and instead of being home all the time now I go into the office 3 days per week...and it pains me to not have the bird with me and out of his cage.

Most Reactions

Latest posts