Horny bird… help!

Charlieboy88

Feb 26, 2023
Parrots
Charlie a 22 month old Eclectus parrot
5FA868DB-8274-4AF3-882D-289588CD0770.jpeg
5FA868DB-8274-4AF3-882D-289588CD0770.jpeg
Hi everyone I don’t usually post on forums but I’m lost with what to do.

I’ve got a 22 month old male Eclectus parrot, Charlie… the last few months he has got a real problem with trying to mate with me or my partner. I have looked up solutions for it and been mindful of not patting him on the feet, lower back and any other places that are suggested not too. I am strict with putting him back in his cage for timeout if he starts grabbing my hand or rubbing himself on the couch or on me or my partner but he seems to be persisting with trying to do it and he seems quite frustrated.. any suggestions with how to stop him doing it without getting him a mate (my living situation doesn’t permit it at the moment) would be greatly appreciated

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
IMHO:
Do all the things that can reduce (but never eliminate) mating behavior:
12 hrs good solid sleep
No touching except on head
Reduce or eliminate fruits and sugar bearing veggies like corn
No access to dark hidey spaces
No access to shreddy type materials (nesting mat;l)
No beak play (often seen as a precursor to mating )

But trying to discipline out mating behavior, like putting him in his cage, are bound for failure. This behavior is instinctual. He has little to no control over it.
Actual humping or regurgitating should be ignored or at most moving him away from the object of his "affections".

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
IMHO:
Do all the things that can reduce (but never eliminate) mating behavior:
12 hrs good solid sleep
No touching except on head
Reduce or eliminate fruits and sugar bearing veggies like corn
No access to dark hidey spaces
No access to shreddy type materials (nesting mat;l)
No beak play (often seen as a precursor to mating )

But trying to discipline out mating behavior, like putting him in his cage, are bound for failure. This behavior is instinctual. He has little to no control over it.
Actual humping or regurgitating should be ignored or at most moving him away from the object of his "affections".
Unless the sexual behavior by a male bird is making him aggressive toward you, why do you want to stop the "Humpty dance"? Does it bother you or embarrass you? He's enjoying himself or presumably he wouldn't do it. All my male birds have done this and I just let them. It blows off energy quickly and then they are back to normal until the urge strikes again. I wouldn't do anything to encourage it but its normal male behavior. For a female bird its a much bigger problem (egg laying, egg binding, calcium depletion, osteoporosis, and nest protective aggressive behavior) so I would definitely would try to discourage it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts