Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek Conure
I'm probably over reacting.
Its hot here in Sydney.. 39.5c
Birdie is hot.
He has little pants.
Hes got water all over the place.
He's had a bath. I left a dish of water out and I sprayed him.
He hates the spray ...
Its not been this hot in the year I've had him.
Its worrying me. Hes eating... I gave him some cold coconut water. He had cold chop and some raspberry.
He looks sleepy at the moment.
But he always has a nap. So I know a bit is my mind over working.
If it gets hot where you are... what's the best tricks to keep birds cool ?
I should have locked up everything ... but its too late now.
I'm hoping it cools down soon.
I don't know if I should close the doors to stop the warm wind ... or if it will backfire on me.
I'm west facing .. can't escape the sun 🥵
Thanks 🙂

GreenCheekMama

Mar 21, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Usually we have an AC but there was this one time we went camping with our bird in a cabin. If you have any fans, turn them on, it’s better to keep him in the shade than in direct sunlight, if your bird is in an outside cage try to move him inside your house. If you can’t and he is outside, try finding any shade for him to stay under, if you have any native trees that are not toxic to birds move his cage under it. I’ve heard some people let their birds take ice baths if the weather gets too hot, also move your bird feeders to the shade. Is he outside or inside because you mentioned not locking everything up before the warm weather hit? I may not be in Sydney, but I’m in Texas, USA (which isn’t as bad rn)

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Birdie is hot.
He has little pants.
He hates the spray ...
Its worrying me. Hes eating... I gave him some cold coconut water. He had cold chop and some raspberry.
I don't know if I should close the doors to stop the warm wind ... or if it will backfire on me.
Thanks 🙂
I really don't understand how you can live in such a climate without AC. Why don't you have AC?

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Birdie is hot.
He has little pants.
He hates the spray ...
Thanks 🙂
Wow, that is hot!
in 2021, we were at 37.5 and just a bit lower for a few days, broke a record. It was miserable hot, I can't imagine it being hotter than that. We also don't have AC, except for a portable one we use in our bedroom. Luckily our birds are downstairs and it stays cooler down there for them.
We added some ice cubes to our birds water bowls and they all loved it! Lots took baths, and the others chewed on the ice. You may want to try that to make your baby more comfortable.
I hope you get cooler temps soon for you both!

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I really don't understand how you can live in such a climate without AC. Why don't you have AC?
I live where it is in humid and above 90F/32C and a bit above 100F/38 here and there for a good few weeks every summer.

I've never lived somewhere with built in AC :)

I didnt have any at all until I got a portable unit last year.

@FiFee Fiona are you able to hang anything over the doorway/window to block out the sun while still letting a little air flow?

I have a fan that I use in one window to blow air out (like actually facing out the window) and another to blow air coming in, it does seem to help more than just one fan.

OP
FiFee Fiona

FiFee Fiona

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek Conure
Wow, that is hot!
in 2021, we were at 37.5 and just a bit lower for a few days, broke a record. It was miserable hot, I can't imagine it being hotter than that. We also don't have AC, except for a portable one we use in our bedroom. Luckily our birds are downstairs and it stays cooler down there for them.
We added some ice cubes to our birds water bowls and they all loved it! Lots took baths, and the others chewed on the ice. You may want to try that to make your baby more comfortable.
I hope you get cooler temps soon for you both!
I did end up dragging out the portable ac. I think I worried because he was definitely showing signs the heat was getting to him.
Cooler now 🙂

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Although winter is coming for you, transitional weather between the hottest and coolest times of the year do fluctuate and changing out to quickly can result in getting caught.

Clearly the AC unit will help greatly. In the future, be more willing to close the shades when the outside temperature goes above the inside. (stating this for the others reading this Thread, as you know that). Air moving around where your birds are can help, I tend to avoid their NOT being directly in the air flow, but very close.

Most Reactions

Latest posts