Houdini

lgallagher

Oct 16, 2022
Media
Parrots
Conure: Edward Van Halen (Hatched 03.2022)
My Eddie has turned into Houdini. I have had to put locks on all of his cage doors because he escapes. I hate doing that but it concerns me because I don't trust one of my dogs. He broke out yesterday when I wasn't home and my Cattle Dog had him cornered. Luckily my husband was home and the heard rustling and went over immediately picked Eddie up. So now I feel secure knowing he can't get out when we are not at home.

Is this normal behavior to be little escape artists?

Thank you.

KingaRoo

Aug 27, 2022
Oregon
Parrots
Kingsley(Pineapple Green Cheeked Conure), Ricky Roo(Red Crowned Kakariki), Oscar (Yellow & Green budgie -PASSED OCT2023), Vincent (White and blue Budgie)
My bird Kingsley is good at escaping as well but only when I'm about to put him back in the cage, he'll quickly climb on out before I can shut the door.

Honestly? I think if you have a room that dogs can't go into put him in there. I have three boxer dogs (two currently living with us) And the main place King stays is in my room and the dogs hardly ever go in here so its fine if Kingsley escapes. But so far I've had no problems with him escaping on his own.

If you have a small cage I would always recommend getting a bigger one so he will have less of a reason to do a jail break. Or I would recommend converting an unused room into a bird room so that way he has an even bigger space.

Take my advise at your own risk though since I've never had any problems with King escaping before and good luck to you.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Our DYH Amazon (Julio) started with the same abilities. When we switched to locks, he simply disassembled the cage by recovering the bolts. Went to 'Nylock' nuts to no avail. With no other pets in our home, we just set about making our home Parrot safe as it was easier than reassembling the cage every day.

Some are just masters at escaping!

OP
lgallagher

lgallagher

Oct 16, 2022
Media
Parrots
Conure: Edward Van Halen (Hatched 03.2022)
My bird Kingsley is good at escaping as well but only when I'm about to put him back in the cage, he'll quickly climb on out before I can shut the door.

Honestly? I think if you have a room that dogs can't go into put him in there. I have three boxer dogs (two currently living with us) And the main place King stays is in my room and the dogs hardly ever go in here so its fine if Kingsley escapes. But so far I've had no problems with him escaping on his own.

If you have a small cage I would always recommend getting a bigger one so he will have less of a reason to do a jail break. Or I would recommend converting an unused room into a bird room so that way he has an even bigger space.

Take my advise at your own risk though since I've never had any problems with King escaping before and good luck to you.
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, we don't have any spare rooms; that would be awesome to give him his own space.

I move his cage every morning to be closer to the windows and my other birds-2 Zebra Finches, Cheech & Chong. The finches sing all day so I figure it's good company for Eddie while we are away.

Most Reactions