(House)Painting and Parrots!

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Howdy guys! Long time no see!

We recently bought a house and are wanting to repaint a single wall of the first floor room. We’d be using Promar 200 0 VOC paint from Sherwin Williams and it should take 3 coats and be done with the final coat by tomorrow (Friday)afternoon at the latest.

However, we have movers coming Saturday to move our furniture, inclusive of our boys’ cages. Their room is on the 3rd floor, and has a screened window - but the window is on the same wall as the window we will be using to vent the painted room.

I anticipate there will be at minimum 24 hours dry time between their cages being indoors and the final coat of paint. Additionally they’re located on the third floor and we are repainting a single wall on the first floor.

Is it safe to bring them home Saturday, or should I keep them elsewhere? I am hoping that the fact that they’re going to be on a totally separate floor means it’s okay. If we have to we can either ask the movers to leave their cages and rent a truck to move them later or board them Saturday and pick them up later during the week - but I suspect that might be kind of stressful for them.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
A common, but good question as we forget to apply basic understanding of air movement in our homes.

Warm air rises and will carry chemicals with it. In a home, the highest floor becomes heavy in chemical load. So, move the Parrots to the first floor and open the windows on the first floor, especially those windows on the windward side of the home. On the third floor, open the windows on the leeward side of the home.

Windward: The direction the wind is coming from!
Leeward: The direction the wind is going!

You're using a good paint, but even the best paint will take at least three days for it to lower to a safe level. Leaving the window in that room open is a go idea, as long as it is on the leeward side of the home. i.e. air is being pulled out of the home!

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Thanks Sailboat! You always have really great and thorough answers! :) I will call the boarding place today and make arrangements for the boys to have a mini vacation.

Most Reactions

Latest posts