Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, I just thought 'general parrot info' is the best place..

So I've been thinking of housing Pippen, my Lutino cockatiel, with 5 other budgies. I occasionally put her in the same cage as them, under supervision of course(usually when sunbathing), and she doesn't attack them or get aggressive, of course there is occasional arguments, but that's it.

They don't really have interest in each other, but they don't really dislike each other. The only exception is Griffen, who is OBSESSED with Pippen. She does get annoyed with him at times(because he's a flirt:rolleyes:), but she doesn't hurt him, she only goes "REE!" or hisses to let him know that she doesn't like what he's doing, but other than that she does nothing to him.

I just thought maybe I could house them together so that she doesn't get lonely(because she does at times), but what is your opinions?

TIA.

Anè

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, I just thought 'general parrot info' is the best place..

So I've been thinking of housing Pippen, my Lutino cockatiel, with 5 other budgies. I occasionally put her in the same cage as them, under supervision of course(usually when sunbathing), and she doesn't attack them or get aggressive, of course there is occasional arguments, but that's it.

They don't really have interest in each other, but they don't really dislike each other. The only exception is Griffen, who is OBSESSED with Pippen. She does get annoyed with him at times(because he's a flirt:rolleyes:), but she doesn't hurt him, she only goes "REE!" or hisses to let him know that she doesn't like what he's doing, but other than that she does nothing to him.

I just thought maybe I could house them together so that she doesn't get lonely(because she does at times), but what is your opinions?

TIA.

Anè
I've had the budgies in the same cage as Pipp for the whole day with no fights.

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
Maybe give a “trail” for pipp..
Leave her with a budgies and leave the room ,keep supervising by a camera or just peek through to see what she’s up to
If she seems ok after a couple of days then i think it would be ok

But its best not to house them together imho
Maybe just put the cage next to each other so she wont be so lonely?

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Maybe give a “trail” for pipp..
Leave her with a budgies and leave the room ,keep supervising by a camera or just peek through to see what she’s up to
If she seems ok after a couple of days then i think it would be ok

But its best not to house them together imho
Maybe just put the cage next to each other so she wont be so lonely?
They enjoy interacting with each other, that's why I thought it might be a good idea..

What I'm planning on doing is giving the boys Pipp's cage, and then Pipp will live in the big cage with the girls, as females tend to be a bit more territorial..

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
They enjoy interacting with each other, that's why I thought it might be a good idea..

What I'm planning on doing is giving the boys Pipp's cage, and then Pipp will live in the big cage with the girls, as females tend to be a bit more territorial..
If they are really okay with each other and the cage is large enough to give them all enough space to get away from everyone else if they want to then i think it would be fine :)

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Also, Griff boy annoying Pippy happened a while ago, he didn't do it to her today.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
If they are really okay with each other and the cage is large enough to give them all enough space to get away from everyone else if they want to then i think it would be fine :)
Thanks for the advice :)
I am looking forward to seeing what other members here think about my idea.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I think it would be okay as long as you know they'll get along. Budgies can be bullies, mine will mess with the three cockatiels just for fun, but all birds are different. Sounds like you know what your'e doing :giggle:

ριgριzυ

Oct 25, 2021
Indiana
Parrots
⋆✧ 𝒫𝓊𝓂𝓅𝓀𝒾𝓃 ~ 𝐹𝑒𝓂𝒶𝓁𝑒 𝒜𝓂𝑒𝓇𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓃 𝒮𝒽♡𝓇𝓉𝒽𝒶𝒾𝓇𝑒𝒹 𝒢𝓊𝒾𝓃𝑒𝒶-𝓅𝒾𝑔

𝒫𝑒𝒶𝓃𝓊𝓉 ~ 𝑀𝒶𝓁𝑒 𝒜𝓂𝑒𝓇𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓃 𝒮𝒽🍬𝓇𝓉𝒽𝒶𝒾𝓇𝑒𝒹 𝒢𝓊𝒾𝓃𝑒𝒶-𝓅𝒾𝑔 ✧⋆

TIA.

Anè
my friend has a solo cockatiel and is wondering what birds could be housed with a cockatiel

(off topic but I'm a well-known member now!!!)

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I decided not to do it.

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
my friend has a solo cockatiel and is wondering what birds could be housed with a cockatiel

(off topic but I'm a well-known member now!!!)
Finches, usually. Doves are quite friendly, too. Not sure about other hookbills.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I have no problem with it, one cage has the two baby conures... the sun conure and the GCC with the two baby budgies....the other cage has the older budgies with the Quaker. The baby budgies used to be picked on by the other older budgie clan I adopted till I did this split, but since the conures have their back everything has pretty much settled down. And the conures and Quaker break up disputes like pros.

When I'm home and not sleeping all the cages are just open.

Cockatiels can be aggressive but Conures IMO are more so. BUT I got them as they were first weened so I had that advantage when they were introduced to the budgies.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I have no problem with it, one cage has the two baby conures... the sun conure and the GCC with the two baby budgies....the other cage has the older budgies with the Quaker. The baby budgies used to be picked on by the other older budgie clan I adopted till I did this split, but since the conures have their back everything has pretty much settled down. And the conures and Quaker break up disputes like pros.

When I'm home and not sleeping all the cages are just open.

Cockatiels can be aggressive but Conures IMO are more so. BUT I got them as they were first weened so I had that advantage when they were introduced to the budgies.
My budgies sometimes attack her..

Good to hear it worked with your guys.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
LOL well I've seen the budgies attack the conures....but the conures just don't seem to realize they are being attacked...they are both males and playfight on their sides and backs much rougher than the budgies ever could do to them, so if anything they see it as a curiosity.

Most Reactions

Latest posts