How and if I should introduce another bird.

GretcheNicole1987

Oct 27, 2022
Idaho
Parrots
A hybrid Sunday Conure
Currently I have a 9 month old hybrid Sunday Conure (Jenday+Sun). She is wonderful. I want to get another bird but have read a lot of conflicting information. Such as when/how to introduce. That it could change your birds behavior/ personality or that some of them just plain don't get along. I hope is that I could eventually keep them housed together and that she would have a pal for while I am at work. So I am looking for useful information and personal experiences. Thanks!

Attachments

• Lana 1.jpg
    Lana 1.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 35

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Adding members (people or birds) to your flock will change the dynamic relationships already in place. Unpredictable too. I will always say Get a second (or third etc) because YOU want one, not to be a buddy for an existing parrot.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I have made matchups with birds several times and mostly it has worked out ok.
If your bird is young and relatively new in your house I think the chances are better things will go well.
But there is never a guarantee the birds will get along.
The biggest change I have seen in bringing two birds together is they may stop speaking human language and revert to just bird noises.

This happened with my Cockatiels . They completely stopped saying "pretty bird" and just make Cockatiel noises.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
We got a second amazon when our cockatiel passed away, because we were worried our other amazon was lonely. Well, he’s certainly not lonely anymore, but both birds (they’re older, in their 30s-40s) have made it pretty clear they prefer their space when it comes to other birds of their genus! Perhaps this will change with time; it’s not quite been a year yet. Too funny really. They do enjoy chatting with each other when we leave their doors open, so they are aware of each other and I think that is nice in its way.

All that to say; make sure you have the time and space for a scenario where both birds hate each other but love you!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
It’s difficult to have two birds who want to devour each other but also both want to be stuck on you.

I think if you’re happy with one bird and she’s not alone too much, I’d leave it with one bird.

P.s. cute bird!

Most Reactions

Latest posts