How can I get my budgie out of his cage?

waaah

Jun 6, 2022
I got a Budgie almost 2 weeks ago and I taught him how to step up. I was able to take him out of his cage almost daily but it would take too much time since he would just jump back to his perch when he reaches the door (It sometimes work if I move him very slowly). It has been 3 days since the last time I was able to take him out and he always does the same thing which is jumping back to his perch when we reach the door. Does anyone know how can I get him out if his cage? I also tried using treats, talking with him and taking him to a very quiet room.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Just be patient....

Keep doing what your doing or just leave your hand on the door, not go inside, and have some millet between your fingers. Have the bird come to you. Have something outside the cage to go to.....a millet feeding station for example, something to WANT to go to.

Jun 11, 2022
Parrots
2 Budgies and a Conure
Hoping to get a Macaw
I got a Budgie almost 2 weeks ago and I taught him how to step up. I was able to take him out of his cage almost daily but it would take too much time since he would just jump back to his perch when he reaches the door (It sometimes work if I move him very slowly). It has been 3 days since the last time I was able to take him out and he always does the same thing which is jumping back to his perch when we reach the door. Does anyone know how can I get him out if his cage? I also tried using treats, talking with him and taking him to a very quiet room.
When I first got my two budgies, I held a handful of seeds on my palm or millet near the door of their cage and they would slowly walk closer and closer to my hand until they got on it and I moved my hand slowly outside the cage. Usually they stayed. But I do recommend when you do get them out of the cage, leave them alone on a perch outside their cage. It helps them get used to you a little more. And then work with them by getting them to sit on your hand when putting them back in the cage. (Same kinda technique you use to get them out.) It worked for me, so I hope this helps!

Kitty16

Jun 10, 2022
US, Indiana
Parrots
2 Blue Budgies, the female is Skittle and the male is Milo.
That’s what I originally tried to do but something I learned is instead of trying to take them out of the cage yourself just leave the door open and wait, it may take awhile but if the budgie comes out of the cage when it’s ready then it’ll feel more safe and eventually come out of the cage even more.

OP
waaah

waaah

Jun 6, 2022
That’s what I originally tried to do but something I learned is instead of trying to take them out of the cage yourself just leave the door open and wait, it may take awhile but if the budgie comes out of the cage when it’s ready then it’ll feel more safe and eventually come out of the cage even more.
Thanks for the reply. It has been months since i posted this and now he flies out of the cage few times almost everyday. He also steps up and lets us take him out of the cage but he still loves his cage and feels secure there so he flies back to it sometimes. He loves, feels safe and trusts all the family members. We really love him!

Most Reactions