How can I make sure my conure grows to like his cage?

Bobo

Nov 5, 2014
Canada
Parrots
T.J., the pinapple conure - adopted November 16th, 2015 at 5 months old

Charming, the cockatiel - adopted July 10th, 2017 at 3 months old
Hi there!
As of yesterday I'm the proud owner of an adopted, 5-month-old green cheek conure, TJ. TJ is a very sweet bird but his old owner didn't have enough time to give him the attention he deserved.
I've taken care of budgies before, and I want to make sure that TJ does not grow to detest his cage / view it as a punishment and instead feel happy and entertained in it. I know to cycle toys and make sure to keep fresh food and water in there, and also make sure to keep it clean, and as of right now he doesn't seem to hate it, I just don't want to accidentally make him grow negative about being 'behind bars'.
He makes very small chirps when I talk to him, and seems very comfortable with hands in general, and even likes to sit on me (and my friends) shoulder/back (and occasionally head, though I plan on discouraging this...)

Do you have any advice on how to keep a young conure satisfied with his cage?

Thanks in advance! :2_smile:

If it helps, his old owner said his cage is 20.5"L x 16.2"W x 33.5"H, though I'm thinking of getting him a bigger one for the long run.
(I would post a picture, but I haven't gotten a good quality one yet of him - sorry!)

kimn818

Apr 23, 2014
North Hollywood, CA
Parrots
Loco- Male YellowSided GCC
Peepsie- Female Parakeet
Tweety- Male Parakeet
Congratulations on your new baby! Would definitely love to see pictures! I would say give him a variety of different toys and watch and see which are his favorites and then give him more of those. Like you already know, rotating toys is important. I've had Loco, my yellow-sided green cheek since May (although it seems I've had him my entire life) and he has no issues with being in his cage although if I'm home he is out. I think its important to teach him how to entertain himself for the times you can't be there with him. It will help with boredom.

Something I just thought of.. Does he have a favorite treat? Its important for him to have foraging toys in his cage.. use his favorite treat, this may help him realize his cage isn't a bad place.

Goodluck!!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Hello and welcome, Bobo and TJ. As long as you make his cage as comfortable as possible, a variety of perches, a constant source of food and water, interesting toys, I think you'll find TJ will see it as his own personal space.

OP
Bobo

Bobo

Nov 5, 2014
Canada
Parrots
T.J., the pinapple conure - adopted November 16th, 2015 at 5 months old

Charming, the cockatiel - adopted July 10th, 2017 at 3 months old
Thank you for the suggestions! As of right now he seems okay with his cage, and I'm glad I have some input in case he changes his mind.
Also, here's a small picture :)
bae_zps044b9637.png

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Awww, TJ is such a cutie! Have fun with your new friend. I know he's found a good home with you.

Most Reactions

Latest posts