How can I prepare my parrot for when I'm off to college?

halocline

May 2, 2021
In about a month, I will be leaving for college. I got my amazon about a year and half ago where he was honestly being neglected at my friends house.
I know a parrot is a lifetime commitment, and I will be taking care of him as much as I can through the next 4 years. I am also planning to keep and love him for the rest of my life.
At first, he did have some behavioral issues caused by accidentally reinforcing them: screaming for attention, screaming whenever I left the room, and being territorial. Still, we have made a lot of progress with those. Now I will be going to college in about a month and he will be taken care of by my parents, who will be empty nesters (so he will have all the attention in the world). The thing is he was the most bonded with me, so it most likely won't be an easy or happy transition for him. I will be back for breaks and occasionally for a weekend. My main goal is to see if there is any way to reduce the amount of stress he will go through, and prevent him from becoming a super screamer again.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I hope your parents like interacting with your Amazon. I would make sure that theyā€™re very comfortable handling him before you be leave. Hopefully he will transfer (at least while youā€™re away) his ā€œfavorite personā€ bond to your mom or dad and the new Chosen One will enjoy it and spend time with him.

Maybe you could buy some fun food treats for your parents to share with your bird once you leave. They will enjoy making him happy and heā€™ll appreciate the treat. And he knows your folks so hopefully he wonā€™t be too upset. Will you be visiting on weekends? Monthly? Maybe you could talk to him on the phone if heā€™s upset.

I had birds all throughout college and since I was studious and shy it worked well for the birds and for me. It was interesting to take field ornithology and have a bird at home. My birds were generally cool with me studying near them and doing their own ā€œthingā€ while I read. My Lucy used to scream like a diving raptor every time I nodded off over chemistry. Good times!

Find a vet, phone #, address in case thereā€™s an emergency and your parents need to bring him in. Where do you get his food? His toys? Make sure they know that. How much does he eat a day? Pellets, seed, fruit and vegetables? Whatā€™s his favorite food or toy orā€¦. What instantly ticks your bird off? What calms him down or makes him happy?

Maybe you could make a list of important info and put it on the fridge or post it near his cage.

I would have a talk with your bird and tell him about your upcoming move. Maybe he will be less upset or confused. I think our birds understand a good part of our speech.

Do you have any concerns in particular?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
ALl of the above is good advice. Whether it is going to be effective however remains to be seen. Parrots are so unpredictable, its hard to say exactly when his response will be both by your disappearance and by the occasional reappearance and then by the (hopefully) permanent reunion. THey are such emotional creatures, who are fully capable of holding grudges, pining away for a gone entity, joy at seeing, and the full range of what we call human emotions.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
My hope is that halocline (prospective student) will be moving to off campus housing in a year or two, and can then have the Amazon with him.

Classes are a small part of college; a large part is studying and if you have a bird you may do more studying at home rather than in the library. My guess is that an Amazon parrot is going to be quieter than a house full of drunk undergraduates or frat boys.

You canā€™t have a bird in the dorms, but many apartments will accept a bird. But heā€™s then another way you need to spend your time, in addition to class, studying, work, etc.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
You are getting great advice. I'm so glad you found us.
I got my bird when I was in college; I'm now retired 38 years later.
My biggest contribution is this... IT CAN BE DONE. Never give up... be creative, be determined, be loving. No matter how daunting the circumstance, you CAN keep your bird. You can make it. The reward is matchless companionship and gratification.
I'd love for you to read the tutorial below for details and encouragement. :)

OP
H

halocline

May 2, 2021
Thank you all for the thoughtful and wonderful advice. It's reassuring to know you were able to keep your parrots through college as well!

My parents adore him, even though he doesn't reciprocate it šŸ˜­ They know all of his mannerisms and his routine. My mom is a pretty big caretaker for him because I was busy in the mornings cause of school last year, so she filled in for me on weekdays. Still, I think I'll make a care guide as HeatherG mentioned because it would probably be helpful since I won't be around.

My parents also grew up around birds so they have decent knowledge of how to care for them. He seems to be okay with my mom so hopefully he comes to like her way more. I'll talk to my parents about the treats, that seems like a great idea!

I'll also make his emergency details, I didn't consider that so thanks so much for bringing it up.

I don't know how often I'll be able to fit in a weekend visit, probably just once a month. I talk to him about everything! He's been so interested in playing with me recently I feel like he knows he won't get as much time to later on. I feel like it might be a hard transition for me too, I already feel like I miss him. :(

I think my biggest concern is that I've seen how depressed some parrots get when their owners leave them. It makes me worried for him because I don't know what to expect, like how wrench13 said parrots are so unpredictable. I know me going off to college isn't quite the same, but even when I've gone on a weekend vacation, he seems to not have as much of an appetite or energy when I'm back. It lasts for a few days. I guess the best way to prevent this would be to make sure my parents keep engaging with him?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Aww. I feel bad for both you and your parrot. Unfortunately, college is not negotiable for many people and itā€™s rather a necessary separation. I bet you will BOTH miss each other. IF I cannot take my birds along on a trip my space is much too quiet and without bird cuddliness.

I was having kidney stone attacks for a couple of years and I had an index card taped up by each birdā€™s cage: what they eat, how much, where the food is kept, and who to call or where to go with an emergency. My friends did make use of these cards, and I label pellets with the respective birdā€™s name.

I hope your bird handles this ok; my birds get upset by separations, too. Maybe after you have come back to visit a few times he will understand whatā€™s going on?

I am glad he has a better life with you and your family, regardless. We should all understand that our birds are not discardable or disposable. They live for a long time and think and have emotions just like we do. But they have to contain it and canā€™t talk it out over a beer or coffee. (Hence, plucking and screaming.).

Last edited:

Most Reactions