How can I tame a wild blue fronted amazon

barrca

May 19, 2021
Sunbury Australia
Parrots
Blue Breasted Amazon
I have a 12 month old amazon that won't come near me, I've have had him for 2 months & he has quietened a little, bit I cannot get any closer than about 3 ft, if I do he panics, I have him in an open cage in the house & he's happy to feed inside & come out on to a perch above the cage & play with a rope with bells on & stay there until I try to get nearer to him, he then retreats into his sanctuary of the cage, has anybody got any suggestions
Thanks
Barrca

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I have a 12 month old amazon that won't come near me, I've have had him for 2 months & he has quietened a little, bit I cannot get any closer than about 3 ft, if I do he panics, I have him in an open cage in the house & he's happy to feed inside & come out on to a perch above the cage & play with a rope with bells on & stay there until I try to get nearer to him, he then retreats into his sanctuary of the cage, has anybody got any suggestions
Thanks
Barrca
Before you can do any of the above, first the parrot has to not freak out when you get close. So, open up the thread "I Love Amazons" on our AMazon sub forum. Now, move your chair as close to him as you can WITHOUT him freaking out. Start to read to him in a nice soothing voice. 15 -20 min. note where the chair is. Next day try moving it a bit , 6 inches, closer. If he freaks out, move it back. Read to him again for 15-20 min. This should be a progressive thing and may take a week or 2 until you can get right next to his cage and he remains calm, maybe even interested and curious. THen you can start with the suggestions above. THis method definitely works but takes patience.

With all parrots, you progress at their pace and not the pace of your expectations.

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
Before you can do any of the above, first the parrot has to not freak out when you get close. So, open up the thread "I Love Amazons" on our AMazon sub forum. Now, move your chair as close to him as you can WITHOUT him freaking out. Start to read to him in a nice soothing voice. 15 -20 min. note where the chair is. Next day try moving it a bit , 6 inches, closer. If he freaks out, move it back. Read to him again for 15-20 min. This should be a progressive thing and may take a week or 2 until you can get right next to his cage and he remains calm, maybe even interested and curious. THen you can start with the suggestions above. THis method definitely works but takes patience.

With all parrots, you progress at their pace and not the pace of your expectations.
that will definitely work
just patience is the key

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
1. Get your parrot to eat out of your hand. The first step to training an Amazon parrot is to get it to eat out of your hands. Simply hold a treat through the bars of the parrot's cage and wait for it to come to take the treat. Be patient and still, as this process might take a while depending on how fearful the parrot is when you first get it.
  • If your bird seems anxious or stressed, try feeding it a treat of a long wooden spoon instead. When the bird eats the treat, praise it so it starts to trust you.

2. Teach your bird to target. Hold out a "target stick" (e.g., a chopstick) and wait for it to come over and touch it with its beak. As soon as it does, give it a treat. Move the stick around and encourage your parrot to follow and touch it, rewarding it when it does.[1]
  • If your bird refuses to touch the stick on its own for the first time, gently touch the stick to its beak and reward it.
  • Try using a clicker to mark every time your bird touches the stick with its beak. After you click the clicker, give your bird a treat. Soon, it will start to associate the clicker with treats, and you'll be able to reinforce its good behavior more easily.
Get the bird to step onto a perch or your hand. Use the "target stick" to guide your bird to a perch or your hand. Introduce a phrase like "step up" every time you prompt it onto the target area and reward it promptly when it does. Gradually phase out the use of the "target stick," instead of simply using the prompt and presenting the target stand.[2]
  • If you are concerned about your parrot biting or scratching you, wear a glove or wrap a towel around your hand.
if it dint work just tell me I know a lot

Did you copy and paste this? It seems to be from wikihow. You have to give credit when posting something that belongs to someone else(it's just part of the PF rules) :)

Also, another friendly reminder is to try linking a thread on PF rather than finding info online. A lot of info online isn't accurate, but here on PF most info is accurate and a lot of people on here has years of experience and knowledge. Trust me, I've made this mistake before.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Crediting your sources is just the right thing to do!

To place some words to the above recommendations.
- The Need to Develop a trust Bond is the foundation to everything else.
- Working at their pace is critical in maintaining the Trust Bond.
- Being consistent in your working with your Parrot helps maintain your Trust Bond.
- It is always the fault of the Human, It is never the Fault of the Parrot!
= Slow down, move at the rate of your Parrot.

If you in fact have a wild caught Parrot. The same techies work!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Its about shaping behavior in small steps.
Like Wrench posted.
At first you want to find how close you can come before he moves away . You pause at that spot, wait till he seems to relax then back off. At first the reward for not moving away is you, you moving away. This teaches him that you respect his body language and that nothing bad happened. But you must make sure he isn't moving away or you are reinforcing that moving away makes you go away. You have to pick that distance that he is alert but not moving away or distressed. However far thst is. Then you take a break and come back and try to move just a little closer, pause wait till relaxes ( id say good bird ),then move away.

This technique does work but takes repetition, paying close attention to body language.

You are working up to , being able to come to the cage without him moving away. and then you can start postive reinforcement by putting a treat in a treat only dish and walking away.

In the beginning of this video you will see an example of that. The burd is upset and anxious by the guys approach. So at first they reward it for staying calm by backing off. Then move go being able to give treats, then start target training.
( I know this burd is nit as fearful as yours, but same thing applies)

Most Reactions

Latest posts