how do i clip a small birds nails without it getting angry and screaming and squirming? and other questions.

birdbutt

Mar 25, 2022
Parrots
barred parakeet
first post here of mine, but I have a small lineolated parakeet, called Kiko, and I need to clip his nails again, but every time I clip them, he gets very angry, and screams, and grunts, and squirms. Since he has mobility issues with his legs,(one was fine when I got him,the other one was kinda iffy,but one day they both froze) so I have to hold him in my small 12 year old hand the hole time. Also he doesn't want to use a calcium block, o play with toys, no matter how much I try. He likes me very much, so, why is this? and how can I make him play and use the calcium block?

Attachments

• 20211005_172755_mfnr.jpg
    20211005_172755_mfnr.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 54

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Just be careful when your holding him, you can't squeeze! My AVN taught me to hold around the neck like a leash, and clipping nails is REALLY a two person job. Even avian vets use an assistant to do it. I've had to do it in a pinch. But get help for it!

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots
Sun Conure and Umbrella Cockatoo
Hey, I think it's best if you just take your bird to your local Avian vet and let them trim or file down your birds nails.
Just to avoid any accidents and injuries on your part and the birds.
They will most likely towel your bird and do his nails while being held in a certain position. They will do it professionally and know exactly where to hold the bird so the bird doesn't suffocate or have difficulties breathing. They're very sensitive.
For your other question, it takes time for birds to get used to certain toys and I see this a lot with smaller birds. Make sure you're providing shreddable toys and foraging toys since those are what birds love the most and they get inclined to chew and destroy. If your bird doesn't accept the calcium block, try to find other ways of providing calcium in your birds diet perhaps.
Best of luck to you!

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
me to its so hard I have done it one time only I just managed to clip a few and their nails are so long now

Most Reactions

Latest posts