How do I convince my mom to change my birds diet?

Sep 6, 2021
Parrots
Green cheek conure: Sugar
Lovebird: Mango
My mom isnā€™t to fond of the idea of sharing the food she bough the with ā€˜a birdā€™, she gets upset whenever i use her fruits and veggies for my birds food. She always says ā€œ mija their birds the donā€™t need my fruits/veggiesā€ or says that when she was younger her bird only ate seed and he was fine. This is really important especially since my lovebird (Mango) is on a mainly seed diet that iā€™ve been trying to transition her out of. My mom is fine buying seeds and pellets just not fruits or veggies, is there anyway to convince her?

OP
Strawberiesaremyfavorite
Sep 6, 2021
Parrots
Also just to calirify iā€™m trying getting a part time job asap so I can start paying for stuff myself i just donā€™t know what to do untill then.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
maybe you could convince her to buy birdy bistro, a product for birds that has fruit and veggies. Or Christine's Chop shop is another options

Bird street Bistro;

Christine's chop shop;

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Since you have educated yourself and know veggies + fruits are best for birds, perhaps your mom will compromise. Maybe you and your mom can contribute towards more nutritious foods?

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
Which Convincing Strategy would fit?

1) try humor....like a superbird contest is coming up...

2) try pity...a single slice out of an apple is all the tiny birdy need...

3) try complimenting....you are the most wonderful mother, you always loves me, raise me well.......feed me well...

4) try sharing what (fruit and veggies) is on your plate with your bird, (since, your mother won't mind paying for what you eat)

5) reduce waste, hide uneaten food on the bird's plate. (I mean, your mother might not mind if the bird eat them but wasting food is also another angle)

Or...
If reasoning does not Work........

how about asking someone, your mother respect and love, suggest this.

Best of luck

OP
Strawberiesaremyfavorite
Sep 6, 2021
Parrots
Update!: My mom just agreed to let my birds eat her Veggies she just doesn't want to share her fruit since she pays a lot for it, I might be able to get some fruits from my Tia's place since she doesn't mind me using her fruits/Veggies for my bird! šŸ˜Š (Thank you so much guys!! this was really helpful!!)

Most Reactions