How do I get him to like toys?

Peachypink

Jan 25, 2021
Parrots
Lola-Mexican Red Headed Amazon
We have a little guy about 8 months old and the poor thing just kinda hangs out, never touches his toys. He "talks" a lot to is and bounces around the cage some but doesn't play. He's not afraid of the toys, just ignores them.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Parrots like stuff they can destroy ir have an effect on.

Those braided shredder rolls, you csn weave in bats, yucca chips. Foot toys they can pick up or carry. A cup of plastic bottle caps, hoops they can work off a perch.

Foraging is really the best in my opinion. Plenty of info out there in that. Bird tricks you tube videos has a great video on foraging.

Also birds find a lot of enjoyment in climbing, leaping between perches , a rope latter, swings, things that turn and bob and dip. Encourage their inner monkey.

This is an article on play ,
https://blogpamelaclarkonline.com/2018/10/10/my-parrot-wont-play-with-toys/

https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/stress-reduction-for-parrot-companions/

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Over the years, our Amazons have always started with smaller toys, commonly known as 'foot' toys (as stated above). Normally, they would begin by relocated them around the play area on top of the cage.

Hanging toys that provide them something to hide behind (made-up of smaller bits), provide them a shield against the World. Commonly, they start by moving them aside and things grow from there.

Bigger, harder wood toys are for the aggressive active chewers.

Take care what you wish for as when they do make that transition, you will swear that you Amazon is inviting friends over for a crewing contest!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Try experimenting with a variety of types--- it took me YEARS to find a toy that Noodles will actually destroy/play with.

Start slowly-- if you get something new, place it a few feet away where the bird can see it but to where it's not a threat.
After a few days, move it closer. Model interest in it--- have everybody act like it's cool (obviously don't bite it, due to saliva concerns lol) but you get the idea.

If your bird shows interest in a toy and they are a fan of your attention, be sure to praise them and treat them (even if she/he /just touches it).

Last edited:
OP
Peachypink

Peachypink

Jan 25, 2021
Parrots
Over the years, our Amazons have always started with smaller toys, commonly known as 'foot' toys (as stated above). Normally, they would begin by relocated them around the play area on top of the cage.

Hanging toys that provide them something to hide behind (made-up of smaller bits), provide them a shield against the World. Commonly, they start by moving them aside and things grow from there.

Take care what you wish for as when they do make that transition, you will swear that you Amazon is inviting friends over for a crewing contest!

KC, the DYH isn't the one I'm concerned about, she has a few toys and has mouthed them a few times so I know it will be no time before she started destroying them.

I'm asking about our little Parrotlet. I don't want him to be bored into depression.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

KC, the DYH isn't the one I'm concerned about, she has a few toys and has mouthed them a few times so I know it will be no time before she started destroying them.

I'm asking about our little Parrotlet. I don't want him to be bored into depression.

Same story, just smaller bits! But as state above, take care of introducing at a pace that does not overwhelm.

OP
Peachypink

Peachypink

Jan 25, 2021
Parrots

Same story, just smaller bits! But as state above, take care of introducing at a pace that does not overwhelm.

Ok cool! Thanks!

Ira7

Banned
Banned
Feb 9, 2020
Coral Springs, FL
Parrots
YNA
Have you tried a paper towel or toilet paper spool? Archie goes nuts for the paper towel ones.

I just throw it on the floor of the cage.

smwboxer

May 31, 2020
San Juan Cosala, MX
Parrots
Mealy Amazon - George
Double Yellowhead - Fred
Maximilian's Pionus - Pancho
Blue Ringneck - Kramer
Military Macaw - Abulardo
Red-Lored Amazon - Lucy
I have untamed 1.2 that live together. They do not like “toys” but do love to chew. I just make sure they have plenty of softer woods to destroy and they are happy as can be.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Sometimes it helps if YOU play with the toy, showing the parrot how much FUN it is! They can very much be monkey see kinda creatures. That works for new foods too.

Tman

Jan 3, 2021
Las Vegas Nv.
Parrots
Galah. Axel
Rescued budgie Anna RIP
One thing that works is buy the most expensive toy you can find, and with in minutes it will be destroyed. Lol.
One thing is that just leave some of them in the cage. It may take a week or two but all of a sudden they will go after it. Like other posters said ones that are easy chews.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Parrotlets don't really use foot toys, since it's only the rare one that can pick things up with its feetsies.

Bumble's favorites are anything made of soft wood - balsa and those mahogany (?) pods are the big winners. And recently I've discovered she likes anything sort of "lacy" I cut out with my cricut. I made a bunch of snowflakes to decorate my office in the winter, and some lacy shamrocks, and she LOVES to destroy them. It's great because there's always a reject or two so I just put them aside for her. Or if there isn't a reject, I can quickly cut her a whole lot of whatever she likes best. Bells make her ridiculously angry and she can really go to town with them. I try to not put those in her cage, however, because of the danger her biting off the clapper and ingesting it. I think there are some fancy stainless steel bells available (Wrench13 has them for Salty???) but not sure they come in small sizes.

Sometimes I have to show her how to play - like I'll hold up the toy and pretend to attack it with my mouth and say RAR RAR RAR and then she will also attack it with her beak. It's pretty cute. I'm not sure if I'm actually showing her, or if this is one of the "games" she's invented (knowing if she doesn't bite at something, I will) but it's worth a try.

I have a couple of favorite websites I order from - both small businesses, one who owns a parrotlet and started by making toys for her bird, and the other also has smaller birds. I like buying from them because I know the toys are going to be size appropriate (can't tell you how many times I've ordered a "small" toy and wound up giving it to my BFF for her cockatoo UHG). Not sure I'm allowed to put them here so I suspect a mod will clean up if I'm breaking a rule :52:

www.littlebluebirdtoys.com - Bumble especially loves the knick knack necklace and all the balsa options. She's in Canada so shipping is a little more than I usually like, but her customer service is top notch and her toys are fantastic so it's worth it.

www.lilmonstersbirdtoys.com - Bumble really likes the balsa dinosaurs that attach to the side of the cage.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
One thing that works is buy the most expensive toy you can find, and with in minutes it will be destroyed. Lol.
One thing is that just leave some of them in the cage. It may take a week or two but all of a sudden they will go after it. Like other posters said ones that are easy chews.

Oh yes - leave them in the cage. For Bumble it can be a lot longer than a week or two. I ignore the people who suggest rotating their toys out weekly because Bumble would never play with any of them. She will ignore it for ages and ages and then all of a sudden - it's destroyed.

Most Reactions

Latest posts