How do I get my 7 year old blue front Amazon to let me hold her?

Robbielou

Jan 24, 2023
Parrots
Blue fronted amazon
I’ve had her since December and she doesn’t hate me lol she talks to me sings to me and interacts but she doesn’t want to be touched. I got her from an elderly lady that never really tried to touch her so she’s just not used to that. I love her to pieces and want to be able to have fun and teach her things but I can’t get her to let me touch her! I’ve had a macaw and eclectus so I’m used to large birds and not afraid but I don’t know how to get her to trust me. She will take treats out of my hand. I have gotten her to step up a few times but she will only stay for about a minute. She will let me rub her beak now but that’s the only way she allows me to touch her. Any advice would be great! I work from home and she is in the same room with me and spends all day every day out of her cage. We do 12 hours covered at night but 12 hours out of her cage during the day. She has a manzanita stand that she stays on all day and she will not try to fly or explore. I’ve made some progress with her but she is going to the vet next week and I’m so afraid we will be starting all over on trust once she goes to the vet. Plus I have no idea how a vet will even be able to examine and weigh her if she won’t even let me touch her after 4 months… Help please!

Attachments

• 6486F290-22BF-4087-9F59-D9F10CBD4194.jpeg
    6486F290-22BF-4087-9F59-D9F10CBD4194.jpeg
    189.2 KB · Views: 39

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
Sounds like you are doing pretty great for a bird that was cage bound for seven years.
You are taking it at the birds pace.
My RLA was in same situation and he is now most affectionate, trusting and bonded.

Vet visits can be rough but I think your Blue Front will look to you for protection and safety and this will help strengthen your bond.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Very well stated above!

Our Double Yellow-Head Amazon does not like to be handled. Our past Big Three Amazons for the most part were not big hands-on Parrots. That does not mean that a relation was not built and interaction were clearly part of that. But each Amazon has set boundaries that require slowly and deeply developed bonds. Amazon bonds commonly develop over years and as stated at the Parrots rate of acceptance.

Once again well stated above!

The Vet visit can damage your bond! But, the trick is to place yourself as saving your Amazon from those mean Clinic Humans and shifting him away to a safe place in your Auto. All the while heaping praise on your Amazon of what a good Amazon she was and you being sorry those clinic Humans were mean to her. But you love her so much and are taking her home, because you love her!

Last edited:
OP
R

Robbielou

Jan 24, 2023
Parrots
Blue fronted amazon
Very well stated above!

Our Double Yellow-Head Amazon does not like to be handled. Our past Big Three Amazons for the most part were not big hands-on Parrots. That does not mean that a relation was not built and interaction were clearly part of that. But each Amazon has set boundaries that require slowly and deeply developed bonds. Amazon bonds commonly develop over years and as stated at the Parrots rate of acceptance.

The Vet visit can damage your bond! But, the trick is to place yourself as saving your Amazon from those mean Clinic Humans and shifting him away to a safe place in your Auto. All the while heaping praise on your Amazon of what a good Amazon she was and you bing sorry those clinic Humans were mean to her. But your love her so much and are taking her home, because you love her!
Thank you! I love her so much and I can tell that she’s bonded to me and there is some trust there. She’s a happy girl now and I just was so worried about the vet trip but I like your way of thinking.

OP
R

Robbielou

Jan 24, 2023
Parrots
Blue fronted amazon
Very well stated above!

The Vet visit can damage your bond! But, the trick is to place yourself as saving your Amazon from those mean Clinic Humans and shifting him away to a safe place in your Auto. All the while heaping praise on your Amazon of what a good Amazon she was and you bing sorry those clinic Humans were mean to her. But your love her so much and are taking her home, because you love her!
Sounds like you are doing pretty great for a bird that was cage bound for seven years.
You are taking it at the birds pace.
My RLA was in same situation and he is now most affectionate, trusting and bonded.

Vet visits can be rough but I think your Blue Front will look to you for protection and safety and this will help strengthen your bond.
Thank you so much! I’m trying not to push anything with her. I figure as long as she’s happy and content then whatever bond we have will grow in time. Since I work from home I love having her company even if she never sits on my shoulder. She is the star on all of my conference calls because she thinks it’s her conference call! I do hope she will eventually let me touch her and interact a little more but again I won’t push that we will go at her pace and whatever I get I’ll be happy with!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
My Salty was not initially a big hands on scratchie type of Amazon, but slowly but surely the beak rubs turned into forehead scratchies and went from there. If she will take treats from you, how about trying some trick training? Its a great way to expend the bond with your parrot. Salty trusts me so much now, I can have him lie in my hand calmly. Good luck!

OP
R

Robbielou

Jan 24, 2023
Parrots
Blue fronted amazon
My Salty was not initially a big hands on scratchie type of Amazon, but slowly but surely the beak rubs turned into forehead scratchies and went from there. If she will take treats from you, how about trying some trick training? Its a great way to expend the bond with your parrot. Salty trusts me so much now, I can have him lie in my hand calmly. Good luck!
Thank you! I will try that!

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
I said the same thing!
As long as he's happy.

And I was starting to think he'd never take to hands.
But finally in less than a year Primor made that transition and become hand tame and shoulder trustworthy and ...it raises the level/quality of interaction...??

-almost like they become your familiar or something.

It will happen.

OP
R

Robbielou

Jan 24, 2023
Parrots
Blue fronted amazon
Update everyone! We went to the vet yesterday and she’s very healthy and I think she has been to him before because she loved him! So what I thought was going to be traumatizing was actually really good! She was happy and so was I she was a doll for him the little stinker!

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Update everyone! We went to the vet yesterday and she’s very healthy and I think she has been to him before because she loved him! So what I thought was going to be traumatizing was actually really good! She was happy and so was I she was a doll for him the little stinker!
I think some bird vets have “good vibes” the birds pick up on! Kirby and Sam were both good for their vets, in a way they were often not at home.

Most Reactions

Latest posts