How do I go about convincing my mother to let me get a bird.

The_Raphie

Jan 12, 2022
Hello people. I've wanted a bird for a while, more specifically a Cockatiel. However, every time I ask my mother, she'll just say no, and that we have enough pets. I currently have 2 cats, 2 guinea pigs, and one dog all of which I take core of except the dog which my mother does. I'm not sure how to go about convincing her, but any ideas would be appreciated.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Try a presentation. Use it to debunk any concerns she might have, speak about rescue birds that need homes, and show her the benefits of having a bird.
Make sure youā€™ve done research-a LOT of research.
You should also offer to pay for the bird and supplies yourself.
Keep in mind that if she says no and it appears that she wonā€™t change her mind, it is what it is. Be responsible, and donā€™t beg.
Ask to at least foster to see if you and your family are good for a bird.
And be patient; this process took me 8 years šŸ˜‰
Good luck and welcome to the forums!

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
I used a PowerPoint to convince my mom to let me get rats. It didn't work šŸ˜‚

Honestly, I don't know if there's anything we can suggest that will move mountains and convince her. If she drew a line in the sand at your current number of pets, nothing we say will change how many pets you have.

That said, check to see if there are any bird sanctuaries/rescues in your area. Maybe volunteering will show her you're serious, and give you some good experience cleaning and caring for birds while you're at it!

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
With birds, every one in the house must be on board with it. If your mim says no you have enough pets (and 5 is a lot in terms of expenses, food, vet care, toys, housing etc) then nothing you say or do will change her mind. It's also difficult (not impossible) to be able to give the bird quality out of cage. Play/flight time with 3 carnivores already in the house.

Birds are not just about buying a cage and toys, it's also a lifestyle upheaval. Non stick pans and cook ware? Need replacing with caat iron or stainless steel or ceramic cook ware . No more arirfresheners, plug ons, carpet fresheners. No more nice smelly candles, or aerosols. No more sleep in at the weekends or late nights out with friends. They are like having a small child.

They are noisy, loud and so so messy. Worse than cats, dogs and guniea pigs combined.

As another poster suggested, if you have a local parrot rescue, see of you can volunteer there for a while so you can learn hands on what it's like to care for a bird or several.

Skarila

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
2021 Parrot of the Year šŸ†
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
āœ»Csillam the rescued budgie
āœ»Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
āœ»Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
āœ»RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
āœ»RIP -Sunny the budgie
I fully agree with Stitch and everything they mentioned, everyone must be on board to have a bird. Everyone should accept that their lifestyle might change. The mess, the dust, the shouting. Also accepting they might have to constrain the dog or the cats somewhere. Worst one is when you tell them not to let the dog near your bird (I know my dog pretty much almost killed my parrot), but your family just shrugs off with "they will be fiiiiine" and next thing you see is a horror scene because your family did not listen to you, or because it was too bothersome for them to keep the other pets in the separate room closed while your bird is with you.

Honestly having parrots is a whole new level of having pets, I had a whole zoo before at home from mice, fish, hamsters, cats, dogs, parrot. It is not easy. Sadly the parrot was closed all the time because according to my parents "he was just fine, see, he is alive" and because of the dog. For them it was much more "humane" to keep the bird in a tiny cage than keep the dog in another room. To this day I still argue with my parents because I gave away our life pet who was with us well over 20 years just because I wanted a better life for him. He spent his well deserved 4-5 years of pension happy with other parrots and still among humans who loved him dear.

Parrots aren't nearly as obedient as dogs, and will always look for trouble. chewed up furnishings, poops everywhere. Keep the bird closed all the time, they will let you know they're not happy, with loud shoutings (even a cockatiel can have annoying very loud shrieks, all parrots can be very loud to a point)

If one person in the family is absolutely not willing to have a bird, it will be chaotic. By accident doors or windows left open, dog in same room as the bird while it is free, perfumes, areosols, etc... Getting a bird means you have to change your lifestyle quite much. I can ensure you that a single bird can take more time of your life than cats, dogs and any rodent combined... Also add a bird to the whole zoo, and you have quadrupled the work because you have to monitor all the time. Some people can juggle between many pets along with bird, but it is never easy..

I agree if you can go and volounteer in a parrot shelter, it should give you some idea how it is. And as Stitch mentioned, you can forget about going anywhere for a holiday or sleeping over if noone is home to take care of the bird... And taking the bird along is much more difficult than tagging along the dog.

Wish you all the best!

oliver_is_the_best_birb

Jan 14, 2022
Media
Parrots
Oliver: Green Cheek Conure
Hello people. I've wanted a bird for a while, more specifically a Cockatiel. However, every time I ask my mother, she'll just say no, and that we have enough pets. I currently have 2 cats, 2 guinea pigs, and one dog all of which I take core of except the dog which my mother does. I'm not sure how to go about convincing her, but any ideas would be appreciated.
If the lifespan of a cockatiel is her worry then maybe try asking for an older bird.
And, having a lot a pets was one of my problems, as well, so maybe try telling her that a bird is like a lifetime companion.
As many other people noted, power points always work!
You can also try explaining the needs of a bird, and how you'll prepare and tend to it.
Good luck! <3

Koko_the_fluf

Oct 16, 2021
Media
Seoul, South Korea
Parrots
Koko (green cheeked cinnamon conure gotcha date 5.18 2020)
For my tip try asking your mom for an extreme pet such as a crocodile or a snake then your mom will slowly will think about getting a bird (Of Course doing research and preparing for the bird and showing how you can take good care of it and promising to keep it safe and happy at all times) Good luck!

OP
T

The_Raphie

Jan 12, 2022
Alright, sorry for this very late response, but I think there was a few things I forgot to add in this post. First off, my mom has said that she wouldn't get a bird, even if there were 0 pets in the house, and secondly that she's just not into birds just in general. Also I just want to thank all of your replies to this.

aussie_wings

Jun 24, 2022
šŸŒ“ā˜€ļøFlorida, USAā˜€ļøšŸŒ“
Parrots
šŸŒŸ š“¢š“½š“Ŗš“»š“µš“²š“°š“±š“½ć€˜F Lutino Budgie怙šŸŒŸ
āœˆļø š™…š™Ŗš™£š™žš™¤š™§ć€˜M Cinn-Turq-Pied-Spang Kakariki怙āœˆļø
My parents usually made me do research and wait for a while until I got another pet. Maybe your mom has a specific reason for not wanting one. Has she given you any kind of explanation on that? Cockatiels are pretty easy to care for (sort of), but you do need to spend a lot of time with them. If you are in school and have other pets, this might make it sort of difficult.

Squiggles:D

Jul 18, 2022
Parrots
Squiggles (about half a year old)
Black capped conure
I convinced my parents with an excel sheet XD
I wrote up a whole budget and everything!
I also listened and watched millions of youtube videos to prove I was knowledgable
then I made a daily routine
3 months later I got my first bird!
Although I was just thinking my dad has always had birds as a child
BUT
If you can somehow show the benefits that might help?

Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
It sounds like your mom specifically dislikes birds. Do you know why she dislikes them? Is it an objection you can do something about?

(Like ā€œbirds are messy and I (mom) will end up cleaning after themā€. Maybe true.

OR ā€œbirds have lice and will give them to you.ā€ Not true.

Or ā€œbirds scream all the time. How will I sleep?ā€ (Birds are quiet when itā€™s dark.)

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
There is a mod post about revealing age and all that for bird ownership, so I'm not going to ask. But I think.....and this is just me, and I'm sure a few others, if you have to ask a parent....if the parent is not on board and not able to take care of the bird when you go off to college, or work, or marriage, or kids, or whatever else is going to happen in your life. I have to look out for the welfare of the bird. Its a 20 to 80 year commitment.

I would recommend not thinking about a bird until, at least, you at least don't have to have anyone's permission.

There's a lot of things in your life that are going to change. Wait till you're older.

I'm sorry.

Last edited:
OP
T

The_Raphie

Jan 12, 2022
It sounds like your mom specifically dislikes birds. Do you know why she dislikes them? Is it an objection you can do something about?

(Like ā€œbirds are messy and I (mom) will end up cleaning after themā€. Maybe true.

OR ā€œbirds have lice and will give them to you.ā€ Not true.

Or ā€œbirds scream all the time. How will I sleep?ā€ (Birds are quiet when itā€™s dark.)
She hasn't given any specific reason, though she has said it's just all the factors of owning a bird e.g. the dirtiness, the noise, and so on.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
She hasn't given any specific reason, though she has said it's just all the factors of owning a bird e.g. the dirtiness, the noise, and so on.
Iā€™m sorry. Sheā€™s your mom, you know, and itā€™s her house. You have other pets, though. A bird wouldnā€™t necessarily be perfect, and some of them you canā€™t even pet or play with. But you can get a bird when youā€™re on your own, or maybe when youā€™re older.

Also, if you have cats and dogs, they have to be separate from your bird. One bite that gets cat spit in or on the bird WILL kill it very quickly and sadly.

I would wait until you have a home with no cats. I like cats, too, but I know I canā€™t have one because of my birds. I donā€™t want to take the chance.

I donā€™t know how old you are but maybe you could help out at a humane society or a pet store and see birds there?

Most Reactions

Latest posts