how do i help my budgie with her fears?

mie

Mar 31, 2023
Parrots
haru
hey guys i'm so sorry about this, it's a real rant, i love my parakeet so much i swear i love her so much, ever since an accident where she almost ran away from home she's really uncomfortable getting out of her cage, i've tried to get treats to her and tried to buy her toys but she really doesn't like to go out unless she's really excited, today I had a really bad flu and I hardly paid any attention to her, I stayed by her side all day and put on sounds and cartoons so she wouldn't be bored but it made me realize how much of a bad owner I feel, also she actually seems to be afraid of going to sleep and I'm afraid it's street noises, even though I cover her up and sing to her before going to sleep , I'm afraid that she has night panic and I wake up with her lifeless, I feel so bad, I was thinking of adopting another parakeet so that she could have a friend but I really don't know, I'm afraid that every day she likes me less, even if she runs to my finger asking for affection in the morning when I open her cage.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
hey guys i'm so sorry about this, it's a real rant, i love my parakeet so much i swear i love her so much, ever since an accident where she almost ran away from home she's really uncomfortable getting out of her cage, i've tried to get treats to her and tried to buy her toys but she really doesn't like to go out unless she's really excited, today I had a really bad flu and I hardly paid any attention to her, I stayed by her side all day and put on sounds and cartoons so she wouldn't be bored but it made me realize how much of a bad owner I feel, also she actually seems to be afraid of going to sleep and I'm afraid it's street noises, even though I cover her up and sing to her before going to sleep , I'm afraid that she has night panic and I wake up with her lifeless, I feel so bad, I was thinking of adopting another parakeet so that she could have a friend but I really don't know, I'm afraid that every day she likes me less, even if she runs to my finger asking for affection in the morning when I open her cage.
You aren't doing anything wrong at all! She isn't going to die of a night fright, and she will recover from her stressful near escape experience. Just sit by her cage with the door open and talk softly to her. Don't plunge her cage into total darkness at night or she may panic. Keep a dim nightlight on and drape a small cover over the top third of her cage so she feels secure but can still see what's going on if she wakes up.
When I had Covid for two weeks last month my budgie Rocky watched a lot of cartoons (so did I- Teen Titans are our favorite) and she was fine. Dont rush out to get another budgie to keep her company. You're enough for her if you spend time with her even if its just watching cartoons together. I wouldn't get another bird unless you are away from the house leaving her alone for most of the day.

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Alinta (F, Bush), Mahlee (M, Bush), Moonstone (M)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
How long ago was the accident? It wouldn't surprise me if she's just nerves and on high alert due to being alone.
I think you're doing your best, try a nightlight and maybe some white noise at night to help make her more comfortable.

OP
mie

mie

Mar 31, 2023
Parrots
haru
You aren't doing anything wrong at all! She isn't going to die of a night fright, and she will recover from her stressful near escape experience. Just sit by her cage with the door open and talk softly to her. Don't plunge her cage into total darkness at night or she may panic. Keep a dim nightlight on and drape a small cover over the top third of her cage so she feels secure but can still see what's going on if she wakes up.
When I had Covid for two weeks last month my budgie Rocky watched a lot of cartoons (so did I- Teen Titans are our favorite) and she was fine. Dont rush out to get another budgie to keep her company. You're enough for her if you spend time with her even if its just watching cartoons together. I wouldn't get another bird unless you are away from the house leaving her alone for most of the day.
thank you very much, i will buy a small light to put near her cage at night and i will try to talk more softly with the cage door open too, thank you very much for your help again☺️

OP
mie

mie

Mar 31, 2023
Parrots
haru
How long ago was the accident? It wouldn't surprise me if she's just nerves and on high alert due to being alone.
I think you're doing your best, try a nightlight and maybe some white noise at night to help make her more comfortable.
thank you very much, the accident happened about a month ago, Im going to buy a nightlight for sure

Most Reactions

Latest posts