How do i keep albie warm and comfortable this winter ?

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
I didnt know where to put this , so i apologise if its in the wrong place .

With the cost of gas and electric going up constantly here in the UK, its going to be a struggle being able to afford putting our cental heating on

How can I keep albie warm and comfortable during winter ? I am so worried about him getting cold . We are more than happy to try anything just to keep him happy .

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
I have a small electric Delhongi radiator (bird safe) and a thermometer. I experimented with it to find out at what level to set the dial so that it cut in and out keeping him at 18C overnight. Last year of course I had it on a timer so that it cut in when the CH went off and stopped as it came on in the morning. I still need to experiment for this year because it will be different. I also cover his cage with a blanket over his usual black cloth. He sleeps in the smallest bedroom in a smaller cage each night. In USA they have a metal plate that fits to the side of the cage giving out heat. I have looked at them but I am not sure about the adaptation to our electric voltage and how it differs. They advertise heated perches as well but again we don't seem to have them. Perhaps with the fuel problems the Bird suppliers will look at supplying them here with appropriate electrics. Perhaps we should start calling them with demands to focus their minds. :unsure:

I just found it here I believe there are different sizes, but again it says nothing about UK compatibility. I would be interested if you manage to discover how it works here.

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I think this is something like the one that @T00tsyd is thinking of, the K&H Snuggle Up Warmer for birds. - not sure of it's availability in the UK, but yes a number of members in North America do use it. It's a heating panel that attaches to the side of the cage and gives off radiant warmth that the bird can move away from if he wishes to....

mobHZsT.jpg

Hope this helps you!

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
I think this is something like the one that @T00tsyd is thinking of, the K&H Snuggle Up Warmer for birds. - not sure of it's availability in the UK, but yes a number of members in North America do use it. It's a heating panel that attaches to the side of the cage and gives off radiant warmth that the bird can move away from if he wishes to....

mobHZsT.jpg

Hope this helps you!
Funnily enough I was looking at this , it's available on amazon UK and the comments just say to get an adapter plug for it . I might email the manufacturer and find out for sure

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
I have a small electric Delhongi radiator (bird safe) and a thermometer. I experimented with it to find out at what level to set the dial so that it cut in and out keeping him at 18C overnight. Last year of course I had it on a timer so that it cut in when the CH went off and stopped as it came on in the morning. I still need to experiment for this year because it will be different. I also cover his cage with a blanket over his usual black cloth. He sleeps in the smallest bedroom in a smaller cage each night. In USA they have a metal plate that fits to the side of the cage giving out heat. I have looked at them but I am not sure about the adaptation to our electric voltage and how it differs. They advertise heated perches as well but again we don't seem to have them. Perhaps with the fuel problems the Bird suppliers will look at supplying them here with appropriate electrics. Perhaps we should start calling them with demands to focus their minds. :unsure:

I just found it here I believe there are different sizes, but again it says nothing about UK compatibility. I would be interested if you manage to discover how it works here.
I'll look into delonghi radiators, I have their bean to coffee machine and I love it ,it's a really good beast of a coffee maker ,so if this is anything to go by , their other products should be good aswell

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
I have the K&H warmers for my guys. For power, they use a universal wall wart adapter, and I just looked. It has a removable plug so it's designed to be changeable for different outlets. If not, I'm quite sure a regular plug adapter should work. It appears to accept 100-240 volt, 50/60hz input, and it's 12v dc output.

Baxter took a while before she would get close enough to it to realize it was a heat source, but she finally accepted it and uses it some. Tucker was more curious right off and decided at first it was something fun and new to regurge on 🙄 He does spend time next to it now and hasn't tried to feed it in quite a while 🤣

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
I have the K&H warmers for my guys. For power, they use a universal wall wart adapter, and I just looked. It has a removable plug so it's designed to be changeable for different outlets. If not, I'm quite sure a regular plug adapter should work. It appears to accept 100-240 volt, 50/60hz input, and it's 12v dc output.

Baxter took a while before she would get close enough to it to realize it was a heat source, but she finally accepted it and uses it some. Tucker was more curious right off and decided at first it was something fun and new to regurge on 🙄 He does spend time next to it now and hasn't tried to feed it in quite a while 🤣
Thank you for this , it's really appreciated. Tucker sounds like great fun !

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Thank you for this , it's really appreciated. Tucker sounds like great fun !
Haha, he really is. Soooo much personality, like Albie does, but completely different. It's an ekkie thing lol! :)

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
I'm so glad this subject came up it is a worry certainly for me this year. At present we have no real idea of how high the fuel bills are going to rocket. So anything that helps us keep our feather ball cosy while keeping fuel use down is really helpful.

Any recommendations for the size to get for a Green Cheek?

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
I'm so glad this subject came up it is a worry certainly for me this year. At present we have no real idea of how high the fuel bills are going to rocket. So anything that helps us keep our feather ball cosy while keeping fuel use down is really helpful.

It's been a huge worry for us

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
It looks like we are probably going to get this heater for him when we get back from our holiday .

It's really helped that some of you are using this particular heater .

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Well thanks to this thread I ordered a B&K snuggle-up yesterday. Fingers crossed that Syd takes to it and stays warm this winter.

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots

Well since I posted this, it's gone up in price ! We have ordered one now

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I also found a heated perch. I had that for my Lucy who had a bad leg and arthritic feet. I wrapped it in vetwrap so it wasn’t slippery and she loved it.

I bought the large perch size so she could sort of lie on it. There’s a smaller one that is cockatiel sized, too, I think.

There is always the bird sweater, depending on how adventurous you are and how tolerant albie will be.

Cagzo

Jan 14, 2020
Media
Mid Glamorgan,South Wales,UK
Parrots
One Pineapple Conure.
Hatched late 2018.
I think we will have to keep the heat on at about 21° at night,as we have 2 older cats as well. Now comes the Eat or Heat,I would rather go without a few meals a week to keep the babies warm.

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
I think we will have to keep the heat on at about 21° at night,as we have 2 older cats as well. Now comes the Eat or Heat,I would rather go without a few meals a week to keep the babies warm.
It's crazy that it could get to that point isn't it ?

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
It may not come to that fingers crossed.

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
It may not come to that fingers crossed.
Either way , Albie is now a truely Spoiled bird ,getting his own personal heater !

It should arrive just before we go away ! I hope he loves it .

MTG

May 22, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Parrots
Quaker Parrot,
Congo African Grey
I am interested in this solution. but I just looked at this heater on amazon UK, it's much more expensive than I was expecting/hoping. About £80-£100. But we do what you have to I suppose

Most Reactions

Latest posts