How do i make my green cheek conure sleep

clydend0r

Jul 1, 2021
I have to wake up at 4am just to give attention to my GCC because i go to school everyday at 5:45 am, but i need it to sleep at 6pm everyday. How do i make it sleep at 6pm

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
keep them up later even though they get *****y...
cover cage.....
bond more so they "get" you are sleepy mine figured it out, they are smart.

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Silent room and covering the cage, making sure it is dark. The birdie will soon catch up "hey it's night again". I had the opposite though when I got Pascal, he would wake up at 4-5 am (as he'd get up with the sun) and go to sleep around 6-7 pm when the sun went down, while I get up usually around 7-8 and go to sleep very late, so I managed to switch him to the 8-9 AM wakey wakey, and 10pm straight go to sleep. All that done with either keeping the lights on and covering.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Yeah- make sure the room is quiet-- get a sleep cage if you do not have a large room for the bird's daytime cage that can be closed off at night. The bird should be wherever the majority of ppl congregate during the day, but at 6pm, either have a separate full cage in a quiet room, or use a sleep cage (smaller- easier to fit in an extra bathroom, closet etc (as long as you are sure it isn't moldy and super dusty etc). Covering the cage with a blackout cover is helpful too-- you can buy these online (cozzy covers are really nice and they are safe because 1. they are blackout covers, 2. they are breathable (unlike some fabrics ppl use to cover) and they fit the cage very nicely if you buy the right type. You can get them for dome or plat top cages.

The biggest thing is making sure the room is fairly quiet--- background noise from OUTSIDE of the room won't be nearly as big of an issue as if someone enters the room, walks by the cage etc...My bird will sleep in her room with the door shut but even after she goes to bed and gets covered, I do hear her moving around for a bit and that is okay.

You just want to make sure that you always fully uncover the cage for the full day and ONLY cover once the bird is in the cage at lights off.

Sudden noises near the cage (even small ones) can cause night frights etc if the bird is sleeping sounding and someone walks in or something, or makes an unexpected sound near the cage.

I would not keep them up later if you know that you have to get up at 4:30..... as they need that 10 hours and you have to get yours up early, so if you deprive your bird of those 10 hours repeatedly, you will see weakened immune health. hormonal shifts and behavior changes. Once you do lights out and cover the cage/leave the room (*which should all happen at the same time--- never cover until you are shutting off lights, covering and leaving the room at bedtime*) your bird may move around in there a bit, but assuming the environment is dark and quiet, it should help with the routine.

Last edited:

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
A couple suggestions to add:

- Room Darkening / total light-blocking window curtains. I got them, for the purpose of convincing my budgies to return to their cage in the Daytime, when I needed to leave the house. But I also use them when it stays daylight outside late at night. Darkness + quiet is the easiest way to convince birds to go and sleep.

- You mention going to school. Depending on the bird's personality, a really good option might be to cover the cage and keep it Near you while you are studying Quietly. Especially if the room is otherwise dark, with say a desk lamp mainly illumiating your study area. (Obviously this will not work as well if your study area is also a noisy family-activity area.)

- Regarding cage-covering. Pay attention to your Bird's Preferences. My Sunny wants her entire cage pitch-black in order to sleep. She will complain if I leave gaps for light to come in! My Jefferson on the other hand, only wants the bare minimum covering. Barely the top 1/4 of the cage front covered. He gets quite agitated otherwise. (And, my sweet Calliope could not care less. She sleeps when she feels like it, covered or not.) So, Your Bird should guide you as to how best to cover him.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
A couple suggestions to add:

- Room Darkening / total light-blocking window curtains. I got them, for the purpose of convincing my budgies to return to their cage in the Daytime, when I needed to leave the house. But I also use them when it stays daylight outside late at night. Darkness + quiet is the easiest way to convince birds to go and sleep.

- You mention going to school. Depending on the bird's personality, a really good option might be to cover the cage and keep it Near you while you are studying Quietly. Especially if the room is otherwise dark, with say a desk lamp mainly illumiating your study area. (Obviously this will not work as well if your study area is also a noisy family-activity area.)

- Regarding cage-covering. Pay attention to your Bird's Preferences. My Sunny wants her entire cage pitch-black in order to sleep. She will complain if I leave gaps for light to come in! My Jefferson on the other hand, only wants the bare minimum covering. Barely the top 1/4 of the cage front covered. He gets quite agitated otherwise. (And, my sweet Calliope could not care less. She sleeps when she feels like it, covered or not.) So, Your Bird should guide you as to how best to cover him.

But (OP) if you don't cover fully, the room definitely needs black out curtains, as a partially covered cage in a lit room is just like a big nest and can make them hormonal-- that is why lights off and cage covering need to go hand in hand. If you only partially cover- there shouldn't be any darker places in the cage (because the room should be dark)

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts