How do I stop mating behavior in two female birds?

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
Okay, I think it is official that breeding season is here.

My Sun and Quaker have both laid eggs in the past. Thanks be to God they have not laid eggs in over five years, but I have been noticing some mating behaviors.

I caught them doing stuff with their butt. Like they were on top of the cage and hunched forward with their butts up in the air touching. I felt a wee bit uncomfortable. They did it right in front of me out in the open. I really thought they would get less sexual with age, they are almost 18 years old.

I caught them regurgitating.
Nikki the Quaker threw a couple of tantrums in the past week.
Sunny has been more bitey than usual.

How do I keep their libidos in check?

Right now they get Full Spectrum Lighting from 7am to 7pm - their waking hours.
I do not cover them at night
I don't have any nesting materials or stuff in the cage-like happy huts or snuggle stuff.
The only diet change is that I have been giving them a couple of nuts.
They just moved into my home office and have been there since January.

I am getting them some new cage stuff so hopefully, the change will get them off of each other LOL

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
my two bonded green cheeks has "special time" nearly every night of their lives together...no biggie

My quakers Penny and Pikachu regurgitate to each other daily...never been an issue..
20210208_112130.jpg

They have needs...maintain bonds..have hormones.. I just don't interfere or worry....not unless chronic eggs, neither if these girls has laid an egg ever

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
my two bonded green cheeks has "special time" nearly every night of their lives together...no biggie

My quakers Penny and Pikachu regurgitate to each other daily...never been an issue..
View attachment 36949
They have needs...maintain bonds..have hormones.. I just don't interfere or worry....not unless chronic eggs, neither if these girls has laid an egg ever

I guess I am more concerned about the negative behaviors like tantrums and biting though. I really don't care if they want to have cozy time on top of the cage, I just don't want to help minimize moodiness.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I don’t think it’s worth worrying about. Your birds are both quite old and not so likely to get super hormonal.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020

View attachment 36949
What a sweet photo.

Most Reactions