How do recall sessions with your birds go?

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
So I do group recall sessions (just to get some energy out and earn some treats and quality time), and then individual recall training sessions with all my birds, and this is how it goes.

Stormy- Way too happy for this world, never gets tired
Picasso- Lazy, but still enjoys
Pepper- Happy but just flies back to the perch without getting a treat half the time
Apollo- Yeets himself off the perch in exitement, forgetting he can't fly well (then does it again)

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Jasper - goes above and beyond to please me, always listens, and of course it’s all about walmnust rewards
Lilla - flies almost anywhere without treats necessary
Ziggy - lazy boy
Kai - lazy boy 2.0
Cricket - enjoys and never gets tired
Seiji - so he can’t fly yet, but we’ve been working on it, and he’s very similar to Apollo

Inko-ai

Oct 11, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Budgies - Sprite & Marshmallow
My budgies come when they feel like it.

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
sky:lazy
tofu: maauah i give you a kiss and you give me a treat said tofu you will only do the kiss trick you are lazy for any other thing said maroa

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Stormy we keep Salty's feathers in a "show trim" meaning he can glide to the ground in about 15 ft or so, because my wife, who is in the same room as Salty for most of time he is out of cage, is handicapped and she simply cannot get Salty if he gets into a predicament or trouble. As a result, we don't do recall training. There is a number of places that he can reach even with the show trim ( banisters, counter tops, sink and couches). However I have no doubt that he would pick up the concept pretty quickly, but for that to be useful, I feel that recall should develop into one of the "on Demand" tricks like stepping up. If I was in your shoes, I would train separately. Group training is a hard thing to do, and I;ve only seen that with true "parrot show" environments, and those parrots are Working animals. Plus I think budgies in a flock are flighty and hard to train

Salty routinely achieves a new trick in one or two tries and after that he will do the trick on demand. However occasionally he refuses a trick, and that is perfectly fine, as he will do it the next time I ask for it.

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Stormy we keep Salty's feathers in a "show trim" meaning he can glide to the ground in about 15 ft or so, because my wife, who is in the same room as Salty for most of time he is out of cage, is handicapped and she simply cannot get Salty if he gets into a predicament or trouble. As a result, we don't do recall training. There is a number of places that he can reach even with the show trim ( banisters, counter tops, sink and couches). However I have no doubt that he would pick up the concept pretty quickly, but for that to be useful, I feel that recall should develop into one of the "on Demand" tricks like stepping up. If I was in your shoes, I would train separately. Group training is a hard thing to do, and I;ve only seen that with true "parrot show" environments, and those parrots are Working animals. Plus I think budgies in a flock are flighty and hard to train

Salty routinely achieves a new trick in one or two tries and after that he will do the trick on demand. However occasionally he refuses a trick, and that is perfectly fine, as he will do it the next time I ask for it.
I disagree that budgies are hard to train. Mine have picked up complicated tricks in just one session!

PyroParrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Dec 30, 2021
Parrots
Sunny: Sun conure, hatch 2/2021
Sunny the sun conure has just been realizing she can fly after flight feathers grew in after molt. I have had her/him about 6 months now and was clipped when she came home so I am assuming that she was clipped before fledging- she is 14 months old now, so was 7 months old when we took her home. She is quite apprehensive and not terribly confident of her flight skills at all but will sometimes not be able to handle her desire to be on my shoulder and will just jump into the wild blue!! It’s pretty cute because you can tell she’s flying thru the air going β€œOh Crap!! How do you steer????” But she makes it, although not in a straight path. πŸ˜‚
So- today, I tried to get her to fly to my shoulder- calling, antics, showing treats- no go. So when she flew to my shoulder randomly, i treated, good β€˜come here’ yeah!!!! Little praise party. So then put her back where she was and asked her to come, showed treats.. and she came!!!!! Im so excited that we are on the path now. I am so totally excited/terrified about this ability to fly thing, but truly think it is better for her/his mental stability

Most Reactions