How do you deal with wasting food?

dera

Sep 13, 2022
Italy
Parrots
Wizard (quaker)
How do you deal with wasting pellet and seeds? I don't want to be scrooge :ROFLMAO: but when I see the amount of good food that falls from the beak (whole seeds, pellet) I watch at Wizard and say "you waste the food just because you don't pay for it :LOL:".
Seriously, is there a trick that an amateur like me just doesn't know, or I need to give up ad throw away the food?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Well, I will rescue tossed pellets if they’re not pooped and return them to the food dish, but I am not sure what else to do. Maybe a hooded food dish would keep more inside? They will lick up crushed pellet if you leave the dish for a few hours without refilling it.

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
I try to only give mine a portion of what I know they will eat as once my Electus is full she loves to throw her food. Nothing like standing on a ladder to get vegetables off the ceiling. Like seriously I don't know how she can get it so high up the wall and on the ceiling. So, I feel your pain...LOL

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
How do you deal with wasting pellet and seeds? I don't want to be scrooge :ROFLMAO: but when I see the amount of good food that falls from the beak (whole seeds, pellet) I watch at Wizard and say "you waste the food just because you don't pay for it :LOL:".
Seriously, is there a trick that an amateur like me just doesn't know, or I need to give up ad throw away the food?
I use a vacuum to vacuum out any seed hulls for my budgies that eat only seeds. (Stubborn). When it's time to toss out their food completely I throw it outdoors for the outdoor birds, squirrels and chippies so it doesn't really go to waste. The critters will eat leftover pellets, too.
Try getting a very large, very wide food dish that the bird can easily sit in and put a thin layer of food in the dish. You will waste less food than having a deep dish.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Bird are top of their food chain and it is not uncommon in their natural range for them to do much the same. But in that environment what they do not eat, the ground animals, bugs, etc. eat!

We gather and also provide to the Birds outside and that includes small manuals, which keeps your friendly Hoot Owl happy!

From the standpoint of how much,, we believe in abundant feeding. The belief that there is a lack of food, Parrots can switch into pre-starvation mode and that can lead to serious behavior problems! Keep the Coal Bucket Full and be happy!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I use a vacuum to vacuum out any seed hulls for my budgies that eat only seeds. (Stubborn). When it's time to toss out their food completely I throw it outdoors for the outdoor birds, squirrels and chippies so it doesn't really go to waste. The critters will eat leftover pellets, too.
Try getting a very large, very wide food dish that the bird can easily sit in and put a thin layer of food in the dish. You will waste less food than having a deep dish.
Every couple weeks I dump the collecting chamber of the vacuum cleaner outside so the outdoor birds get all the "wasted" seed that really isn't wasted!

Ck@rjc

May 13, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
They make something called clean feeders. Not sure if you have heard of it but I haven't until today and I've owned several birds. I just purchased my first conure and his cage came with one along with a normal feeding dish. I put food into both and I've noticed that if my baby decides to eat from the clean feeder, it catches the waste and I'm able to salvage my little pesky bird's leftovers and it also helps with clean up 😁

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
They make something called clean feeders. Not sure if you have heard of it but I haven't until today and I've owned several birds. I just purchased my first conure and his cage came with one along with a normal feeding dish. I put food into both and I've noticed that if my baby decides to eat from the clean feeder, it catches the waste and I'm able to salvage my little pesky bird's leftovers and it also helps with clean up 😁
I have several of these clean feeders to reduce the bird mess but they don't work in the plexiglass cages I have now and these cages contain the mess very well.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Sorry but that wasting and flinging of food is natural behavior and is part of Nature's plan to reestablish plants and trees etc. Thank God Salty is not a flinger or much of a waster. Very little of his dry food (pellets, nuts and seed) winds up on the floor of his cage, and his wet food (chop and single veggies) he just drops straight down and is caught by the BIG stainless bowl under his wet food feeding station. Some good suggestions above with hooded bowls and such, but flingers are gonna be just that.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I have a theory about this.....

I think Parrots eating at the edge of things (which is stupid) is actually benificial, they move seeds around. And by not being the pesky eaters they pick up seeds and fly a few hundred yards and a millenia later you have a rain forest ...so more living area. They are messy because in the wild it gave them more trees. More forest or jungle. They built it all. By eating on the edge of things.

I also think thier immunity to capsasin (hot factor in peppers) is also an evolutionary colaberation so small stupid slow mamals would avoid but the parrots could carry the seeds miles and spread.

I think birds have had for millions of years got thier niche with plants and what-not, but when we keep them and they yes are family, yep it's a bit annoying. But you still got to to love them...I think the eating on the edge of things is just trying to make a new rain forest, even if it's in the family room.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Kirby likes to throw blueberry skins and bean skins and what have you onto my plate when we have dinner together. The kids shriek and laugh and everyone has a good time.

I bought a little handheld vac that I keep next to his cage and put a splash mat down under it. I wash it every so often and vacuum it up daily. Hanging a shower curtain behind the cage on command hooks will protect your walls from debris. Easier to just get better at cleaning than to try to change the bird!

Most Reactions