How does your bird react to rain?

foxgloveparrot

Aug 30, 2021
Media
Indiana
Parrots
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon) Lilla (senegal parrot) Ziggy and Kai (budgies) Cricket (parrotlet)
It's pouring outside right now, and I've been with my birds all day. I've noticed my flock has different reactions to rain, over the years that I have had them. When it's only a slight drizzle, they hardly notice, but when it pours, they definitely do! Ziggy is my budgie, and when it rains, he refuses to come out of his cage, just stays in there, acting somewhat miserable. I have taken him to the vet many times, but every time, they say the same thing: he's not sick, it's how he reacts to rainy weather. Lilla's favorite perch of all is this shower perch on the window. She sits there for hours at a time, watching the outdoors with so much fascination, she never looks away. She also hates the water bowl, and will only bathe using a spray bottle. So when it rains, she pecks at the window, as if she wants to go outside for a shower. So I was wondering...what do your birds think of rain? Please share!

Inko-ai

Oct 11, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Budgies - Sprite & Marshmallow
In the room where my budgies live, there is a big, high window, and it has a lattice over it. They like to fly up there and sit on the lattice, watching the rain. If it's really bad, with wind and thunder, they'll just stay in their cage.

ctwo

May 16, 2019
Parrots
Mango the Indian Ringneck and Peach the Cockatiel; Kiwi found a new home
From drought country, "What's rain?"

Actually, when it last rained, I did not notice much difference. I tried to point it out to them. Maybe I wasn't observant enough. Thanks for the insight.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Fang (10yo (ab)normal grey cockatiel), HRH Crown Princess Lilly Pilly (purple-crowned lorikeet gotcha date 28 Oct 2018) & Valentino (budgie, gotcha date 14 Feb 2019 at approx 6mo)
From drought country, "What's rain?"

Actually, when it last rained, I did not notice much difference. I tried to point it out to them. Maybe I wasn't observant enough. Thanks for the insight.
LOL, can relate!! Here in Briz Vegas it's either bone dry for years or "when will it ever stop raining the dams are full to bursting oh look it's a flood!"

Rain seems to have zero impact on my (male) budgie and cockatiel. Fang the cockatiel is completely indifferent, although the sound of a really heavy downpour on the tin roof in the bird room generally gets Val the budgie singing at top note!

My Lilly the lorikeet hen on the other hand immediately thinks it's prime egg laying time and her little brain goes into overdrive thinking she has to lay eggs now now Now NOW NOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW!!!!! Even more so in winter which is her peak breeding season - thankfully we are coming out of that now so things aren't quite so hyper on that front. But rain makes her think more flowers will flourish thus providing more food for raising babies, so she can be a real handful let me tell you!!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Julio grumps at a little rain. Is interested when its a heavy noisily rain. When the seasons switch and as part of a late Fall /early Winter first snow that common starts here with huge, white, Goose size downy feathers that starts with a few and increases to a near while wall. That gets his attention!!

His best love is a bright Sunny day as he chases the Sun during the day from the Start in the East window, mid-day in the South windows and end of day in the West windows.

GaleriaGila

Supporting Member
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 37-year-old Patagonian Conure
The Rickeybird cares not if it rains, but I had a friend once who bred cockatiels, and she SWORE it made them... ummm... FRISKY!

AmyMyBlueFront

Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
The Rickeybird cares not if it rains, but I had a friend once who bred cockatiels, and she SWORE it made them... ummm... FRISKY!
Both boy's are in the living room facing the east,right next to the bay window. When it rains neither give a hoot,BB may be a little less vocal and Amy doesn't notice. Sometimes I take Amy out to the deck under the umbrella. During a lite rain he'll shake his head and ruffle his clothes. If it's a medium to heavy rain and I move him from the umbrella protection he really shakes his head,giving me the stink eye and starts to climb my arm to my shoulder for protection under the umbrella,thats when I tell him "ok lets go back in the house".

Jim

Most Reactions

Latest posts