How hot is too hot indoors.

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
Since my Quakerā€™s surgery last ninth she and her Sun Conure sister have been in my office. After Nikki recovered and they moved back into their cage together, I decided that I like them being in the office with me.

I work remotely and I like having then in the toon with me so they can be out and about and yet be close by.

My only concern is when the whether gets warm. During the summer office gets hot. There is no AC unit in the roon so the Ac air flows into the room from across the hall in another room.

I have a thermometer in the toon so I can watch the temperature.

It doesnā€™t get to 90 but it gets warm and I get easily hot.

How hot is too hot for them? If it gets close that temp I would move then to the room with the AC to be comfortable.

The toon has a ceiling fan but I wouldnā€™t turn it ln unless they are inside the cage. The Quaker canā€™t fly but the Sun can.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The transition in Seasons can be a problem if the temperature suddenly increases or decreases quickly as time does not allow them to adjust their underlayment of downy feathers. Summer temperatures can become a problem. But the greatest concern is 'high' humidity levels. The combinations of high temperatures and high humidity, and low /slow air flow can be deadly.

Remember that Parrots do not sweat and have to depend on air flow to reduce body temperature. Frequent misting becomes important, but high humidity reduces the effect.

Precise /specific temperature is difficult as so much depends on air movement. Floor fans and mid-height fans help greatly.

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
The transition in Seasons can be a problem if the temperature suddenly increases or decreases quickly as time does not allow them to adjust their underlayment of downy feathers. Summer temperatures can become a problem. But the greatest concern is 'high' humidity levels. The combinations of high temperatures and high humidity, and low /slow air flow can be deadly.

Remember that Parrots do not sweat and have to depend on air flow to reduce body temperature. Frequent misting becomes important, but high humidity reduces the effect.

Precise /specific temperature is difficult as so much depends on air movement. Floor fans and mid-height fans help greatly.
Hi thank you! Yes I am concerned about humidity. I am wondering if if I should just move them to a different room during the summer months. It is will be breading season after all.

I just LOVE their company in the office, but even if it gets hot three of us may re locate to a cooler room.

The ceiling fan would circulate the AC and keep the air flow but I would be afraid about turning that thing on when they are out of the cage.

What is considered high humidity for birds? Do humans tolerate humidity better. I can't stand high humidity.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Depends the the natural range of the Parrot! Parrots of the World come from Deserts to Jungles, or better stated, from dry to high-humidity conditions. Best choice is to move everyone to that air-conditioned room and assure that the Parrots are not in the stream of cold air.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I watch my birds for signs of overheating at 80+. Sadly when itā€™s hot out you canā€™t sit and hold your bird or she will get too warm. You can tell if your birds are too hot by watching them for panting with their beak open and wagging their tongue. You can watch also for the bird holding his wings out away from his body to lose heat through wing pits. Your bird is way too hot if it seems distressed quiet and inactive.

My apartment has wimpy AC and the bedroom gets really hot in summer. Putting fans in the doorway help get air into the room. Other people with similar floor plans say a ceiling fan really really helps pull the cool air in. Misting certainly helps cool a bird down. Also, remember if your surroundings are hot, holding your bird will make it more hot. (I hate not being able to hold my birds when itā€™s really hot.)

If by some chance conures molt in the fall, maybe you could trim your sun conureā€™s wings at the beginning of hot weather, and be able to have her in the office with the fan on? It is a trade off: will she be worse off if kept outside your office by the AC with full wings, or in your office with a clip? Can she fly that high with a good solid wing clip? Would you even consider doing that?

I might build a cage of wire mesh around the fan and tack it to the ceiling. But Iā€™m a pain. How about buying a window AC unit now, while itā€™s cool out and theyā€™re cheaper, for your office?

miki

Jun 26, 2014
I live in a refurbished warehouse, the same one that I've lived in for just a little over 30 years. My condo apartment is just a bit under a thousand square feet, and since I'm on the 4th floor of a 5-story building, and my condo has 10-foot ceilings and large windows (which I love), I have to use both a ceiling fan and a bedroom window air-conditioner to keep the place relatively cool in the summer, and to prevent Aziza, my pet female Congo African Grey Parrot, from overheating.

I, too, watch for signs of overheating, and also spray her intermittently with a homemade aloe vera juice and water solution, which also helps reduce the dust that she produces, as well. So far, I've had good luck, and Aziza has never overheated.

In the event of a heatwave, when the temperatures gets into the upper 80's or above, I'll close my Venetian blinds, with the slats facing outwards, so that the sun cannot come in.

Most Reactions

Latest posts