How is hormone season going ?

Rosalindagg

Sep 19, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel, Conure, Parakeets
Anybody else having a hard time navigating through hormone season? Iā€™m gonna try some chamomile tea! I have a mature female whoā€™s going crazy and Iā€™m afraid sheā€™ll influence my young male. Heā€™s only 8 months so heā€™ll be getting there soonšŸ„²
At the start of this month she started seeing him as a mate & she started getting hormonal when they eat out of the same bowl!

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
most my birds are starting to find some new loose feathers, but it's not the feather apocalypse yet. The first molt it looks like a bird exploded... not at that point yet.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Kirby keeps trying to convince me to be his girlfriend, so yeah, itā€™s a little batty over here! Heā€™s managed to remain well mannered though, he let my partner do his pin feathers after dinner today. :)

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Luna my assumed female Green cheek amazon is hormone crazed. Merlin the male partner keeps running away from her.
I have been trying to record some video of her behavior but it's not easy. She does it all the time but if I get close enough to get a clear recording she stops.

Bella my for sure female CAG has been very nesty.
She is being very insistent in trying to get into the cupboards.
We have to keep the cupboard doors taped shut to keep her out of there.

OP
Rosalindagg

Rosalindagg

Sep 19, 2022
Parrots
Luna my assumed female Green cheek amazon is hormone crazed. Merlin the male partner keeps running away from her.
I have been trying to record some video of her behavior but it's not easy. She does it all the time but if I get close enough to get a clear recording she stops.

Bella my for sure female CAG has been very nesty.
She is being very insistent in trying to get into the cupboards.
We have to keep the cupboard doors taped shut to keep her out of there.
My female has been very nesty too! She goes in my the corners of my closet. My closet is open & has no door. I canā€™t really add a curtain because Iā€™ll be moving soon soon. What sucks is that every morning sheā€™s screaming and flying like crazy

OP
Rosalindagg

Rosalindagg

Sep 19, 2022
Parrots
Kirby keeps trying to convince me to be his girlfriend, so yeah, itā€™s a little batty over here! Heā€™s managed to remain well mannered though, he let my partner do his pin feathers after dinner today. :)
Sushi used to see me as her mate but now that changed and she sees Tito as a mate but heā€™s still a little young !

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
It Snowed here today, tomorrow is the last day of April and to add to the confusion, we had heavy clouds all day! Our member of the Big Hot Three Amazons is just a time bomb and one has to take great care to determine his mental condition!

He is near three months past normal last day of Hormonal Season!

The only good part is that the number of Great Days are outnumbering the bad days.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Salty is not really having a especially hard hitting season this year, but now that I think on it, it has been kinda long. But then again he is a full hard on rooster now, a lot of his baby traits are rare.

Briburd

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 25, 2021
Media
San Diego
Parrots
Mojito the green cheek conure
Oh just lovelyā€¦.so far. My GCC, who I believe is male but yet to be confirmed, is such a sweetie pie. (for now) He is really trying to put on the moves though and has become particularly fond of my ears and not just for nibbling. (He tries to match his ā€œholeā€ up with my ear ā€œholeā€) šŸ˜³ but other than being a little horny bird heā€™s been so much fun. Dancing, talking, playing, and such a little goofball. His charm is semi working because I am just smitten with him right now. He still wants to hang with my husband sometimes and is tolerant of my other pets being near me too but he just turned 2 so heā€™s hormones aren't raging quite yet. To be honest the biggest challenge right now is making sure I donā€™t feed into any unwanted behaviors in the future.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Very good point above. How we react to hormonal behavior can sometimes cause objectionable things to become permanent behavior. Example, a bite that occurs because you did not pay attention to his body language should not be handled the same way as a bite that occurred because he was just feeling onery at that moment and certainly not your fault.

Most Reactions