How long can a parrot be hormonal?

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
My Sun conure started exhibiting behaviors associated with hormones in early March.

The first sign was increased biting

This was accompanied by her mating with my quaker parrot and regirgitating to her as well.

She molted in March.

I had a break of two weeks from her biting me.

I thought I was out of the woods but then around Easter time she started biting me again. It was around this time that I saw the increased appetite, constantly looking for food, increased chewing, sticking butt up in the air, spending more time at the bottom of the cage (nesting). This lasted a few weeks then boom!

She laid an egg.

It also looks like she may lay another. It seems she wasn't fooled this time by the fake eggs.

And now for my questions

1. Can a Sun Conure be hormonal for this long?
2. Can a bird be hormonal for two months and THEN lay eggs

The biting has calmed down some (although, sometimes she will lunge), but she is still spending time at the bottom of the daytime cage. Today I thought she was going to lay another egg.

She is 18, why is she so horny now? The last time she laid an egg was like in 2018.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I don’t have conures.
But one of my female Cockatiels is constantly hormonal.
no eggs though.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Birds can be constantly, or almost constantly hormonal, as their hormonal cycles are pretty messed up from living in captivity. It is definitely possible for a bird to be hormonal for 2 months, even 2 decades, before laying an egg.

If you haven't already, remove all nooks and crannies that could trigger her, and give her at least 12 hours of sleep, although 14 may be ideal in your case.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Yeah, mating season can vary from year to year. THe previous 2 years were real killers in North America, but this year seems to be very mild.

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
Yeah, mating season can vary from year to year. THe previous 2 years were real killers in North America, but this year seems to be very mild.
Really? This year was a killer for me. Nasty Conure bites and then she laid an egg. I think she may lay another.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
THe thing about matin seasons and hormone activity is that it is different for each species, location, ambient weather and likely more factors that we are not aware of. All I know is that the other Amazon owners on here all were pulling their hair out the 2 previous years over how hormonal their 'zons were.

The thing to remember: This Too Shall Pass!

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
THe thing about matin seasons and hormone activity is that it is different for each species, location, ambient weather and likely more factors that we are not aware of. All I know is that the other Amazon owners on here all were pulling their hair out the 2 previous years over how hormonal their 'zons were.

The thing to remember: This Too Shall Pass!

Yeah, I know it will pass. I just want her to lay her eggs and get it over with LOL!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Laying an egg and expecting it to end a Hormonal cycle is not likely as they are two very different things that commonly occurs at or near the same time.

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
Laying an egg and expecting it to end a Hormonal cycle is not likely as they are two very different things that commonly occurs at or near the same time.

No, I am not expecting it to end the hormones, I just want it out of her LOL!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I thought you were giving your birds a shortened daylight period? If you give them a shorter day, and consider less other reproductive stimuli/ triggers, the bird should come out of its hormonal/reproductive body state.

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
I was giving them 14 hours of darkness and yet Sunny laid an egg. That means hormones.

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
I was giving them vegitable and no fruit, little seed and Harrison pellets, millet

The only thing I can think of that might have set them off is I would give them Avi Cakes which has ground corn in it. I had not given them avi cakes in years but they got it as a birthday gift.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Maybe it is just that stimulating for her to be around her β€˜mate’. Because it appears you are doing the right things.

I guess I would feed fewer carbohydrate-heavy vegetables like corn, peas, beans, and decrease petting and attention.

Also if your birds are able to get at their newspaper to shred it, that can be confusing. Huts can be confusing.

That’s the best I can suggest. Looks to me like you’re doing the right things.

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
Maybe it is just that stimulating for her to be around her β€˜mate’. Because it appears you are doing the right things.

I guess I would feed fewer carbohydrate-heavy vegetables like corn, peas, beans, and decrease petting and attention.

Also if your birds are able to get at their newspaper to shred it, that can be confusing. Huts can be confusing.

That’s the best I can suggest. Looks to me like you’re doing the right things.

My boss had an interesting theory. He said that maybe Sunny was jealous of all the attention that Nikki was getting after she had her wing amputation surgery. I wouldn't put it past her.

They were separated (separate cages) for a month and I was administering medication to Nikki at least twice a day.

Now the roles are reversed and I am a bit more focused on Sunny and every time I see her I ask "Sunny, how's your coolie?"

Coolie is an Italian-American slang word for "butt". I have been so focused on her rear this entire week because I thought another egg is coming. I wouldn't be surprised if she lays another one, but who knows.

Most Reactions

Latest posts