How long do I have to feed my 4.5 months eclectus?

Hik

Mar 15, 2022
Parrots
Eclectus
Hi, I own a male eclectus and it’s about 4.5 months old and I have few doubts. When do I stop feeding formula. It can eat solid foods such as the seed mixture and sometimes some fruits like apple but I do not know whether to stop the formula yet. On top of that many people have told me that Alborz (eckie name) is actually skinny and small. I do not know what to do and also it’s very hard and exhausting to handfeed it just does not eat easily and I learned one thing which is not to force it so I am actually concerned. It does not have any health issues but it’s just a little small compared to other eckies around its age and also the struggle to feed it. I have been keeping it for almost 2 months now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 61
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 59

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
hers a thread on weaning

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Male Eclectus and Eclectus is general tend to be slower in transitioning to solid foods. That said, they have a very demanding and different diet from other Parrots as their Natural Range is restricted to the amount of high food value choices. As a result, they are a poor candidates for a 'common' Parrot diet. Assure that you are transitioning to the correct diet!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Delayed weaning g has been linked with low grade infections...worth a vet exam

This article talks some species specifics.

OP
H

Hik

Mar 15, 2022
Parrots
Eclectus
hers a thread on weaning
Thank you very much

OP
H

Hik

Mar 15, 2022
Parrots
Eclectus
Male Eclectus and Eclectus is general tend to be slower in transitioning to solid foods. That said, they have a very demanding and different diet from other Parrots as their Natural Range is restricted to the amount of high food value choices. As a result, they are a poor candidates for a 'common' Parrot diet. Assure that you are transitioning to the correct diet!
Correct diet? Can you explain that to me please?

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Correct diet? Can you explain that to me please?
This thread is very informative :)

Most Reactions