How long do i need to wait after painting with this to bring my bird into my house?

Birbberry

Mar 22, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel parakeets
I'm painting my house and need to know how long I wait until it's safe to bring my bird in the picture has the paint type

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I'm painting my house and need to know how long I wait until it's safe to bring my bird in the picture has the paint type
I don't see any pic..

Generally, it is best to wait until the paint smell is gone.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Hey, Birbberry! It looks like your photo did not load! My dad is a painting contractor and my brother manages a paint store so I can give you a general outline about house paint, however.

For parrots, while itā€™s better to use a low or no VOC paint, all paint is toxic, and it is always important that your parrot not be in the house when youā€™re painting. Even after the paint is dry, it still releases odors and off-gases! Drying time for both exterior and interior paint can be as little as 2-4 hours, but curing time takes much longer.

For maximum safety, itā€™s best to keep your parrot out of the house for about a week, regardless if it is interior or exterior paint. Latex based paints take longer to cure (up to 30 days). However, they have less odor and VOCs and are by far the most common paint type youā€™ll encounter for both interior and exterior jobs. Oil based paints will cure after only a week or so, but theyā€™re mostly used for metals or wood. I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever used an oil based paint for either the exterior or interior of my home.

Itā€™s important also to remember human safety when painting as well! When painting an interior make sure your work area is well ventilated.

We are actually painting the exterior of a shed in our yard this summer and we timed it so itā€™ll be done right after we drop our parrots off for boarding for a week.

OP
B

Birbberry

Mar 22, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel parakeets
Hey, Birbberry! It looks like your photo did not load! My dad is a painting contractor and my brother manages a paint store so I can give you a general outline about house paint, however.

For parrots, while itā€™s better to use a low or no VOC paint, all paint is toxic, and it is always important that your parrot not be in the house when youā€™re painting. Even after the paint is dry, it still releases odors and off-gases! Drying time for both exterior and interior paint can be as little as 2-4 hours, but curing time takes much longer.

For maximum safety, itā€™s best to keep your parrot out of the house for about a week, regardless if it is interior or exterior paint. Latex based paints take longer to cure (up to 30 days). However, they have less odor and VOCs and are by far the most common paint type youā€™ll encounter for both interior and exterior jobs. Oil based paints will cure after only a week or so, but theyā€™re mostly used for metals or wood. I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever used an oil based paint for either the exterior or interior of my home.

Itā€™s important also to remember human safety when painting as well! When painting an interior make sure your work area is well ventilated.

We are actually painting the exterior of a shed in our yard this summer and we timed it so itā€™ll be done right after we drop our parrots off for boarding for a week.
I guess because my internet's off the picture won't fully upload but it is sherwin-williams ovation plus

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Ah, ok! Ha, the paint store my brother manages is a Sherwin Williams so thatā€™s actually the brand Iā€™m most familiar with.

I have mainly used their ProMar line, but ovation is great too. A thing to note though (mostly if your paint is old, or for other brands of paint, see next paragraph) is that the paint that is zero VOC is the base white. Each ounce of tint added to color the paint can contain anywhere from 5-20 grams VOCs. Some colorants do not contain VOCs, and the employee at the paint store from which you got the paint should be able to tell you if the color youā€™re using has any.

The great news is, for Sherwin Williams, their Colorcast Ecotoner colors will not add VOCs to your paint. If you bought the paint recently, it will have been made with Colorcast Ecotoner, as itā€™s the only colorant they use in their water and latex based paints now.

I hope that helped!

OP
B

Birbberry

Mar 22, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel parakeets
Ah, ok! Ha, the paint store my brother manages is a Sherwin Williams so thatā€™s actually the brand Iā€™m most familiar with.

I have mainly used their ProMar line, but ovation is great too. A thing to note though (mostly if your paint is old, or for other brands of paint, see next paragraph) is that the paint that is zero VOC is the base white. Each ounce of tint added to color the paint can contain anywhere from 5-20 grams VOCs. Some colorants do not contain VOCs, and the employee at the paint store from which you got the paint should be able to tell you if the color youā€™re using has any.

The great news is, for Sherwin Williams, their Colorcast Ecotoner colors will not add VOCs to your paint. If you bought the paint recently, it will have been made with Colorcast Ecotoner, as itā€™s the only colorant they use in their water and latex based paints now.

I hope that helped!
So do you think 2 weeks would be a good time to wait before bringing him in?

KingaRoo

Aug 27, 2022
Oregon
Parrots
Kingsley(Pineapple Green Cheeked Conure), Ricky Roo(Red Crowned Kakariki), Oscar (Yellow & Green budgie -PASSED OCT2023), Vincent (White and blue Budgie)
I'm moving to a new room in my house and I hate the color of the walls so I will be repainting them. I don't recommend waiting until the smell is gone because just because we wont smell it doesn't mean our feathered friends wont! Birds often smell things we don't so just to be safe I'm planning to wait a week or two before moving him to my new room.

JulietRose

Oct 6, 2022
Parrots
Two Parakeets
I personally would wait a week or two before letting the birds in, the smell should be completely gone when you bring them in.

Most Reactions

Latest posts