How long to wait for a molt?

Ezekiell

Jan 31, 2016
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
Māui (white bellied caique)
Māui (finally) came home yesterday and had his first vet check today.
The vet commented on his show clip; this was done by the breeder, he only has 2 flights either side and they're kinda ratty because he doesn't really take care of them since they donā€™t help him fluttering down from a height when spooked any.
The vet commented on the clip because she was worried that he may hurt himself if he falls from a height without his flights.

Now, I want him flighted precisely so that he can save himself if he falls and he can transport himself around the house (right now heā€™s not confident because heā€™s scared of falling and bobs to ask for a human taxi to where he wants to go).

But I donā€™t know when to expect his first molt. Heā€™s about 10 months old, so when can I expect him to grow in new flights?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
He has problems already molted once, so it can take several months to a year to get new flight featheres. It's terrible to clip young birds, they have a hard time gey over the fear of falling and learnings to fly.
Be supportive, provide perch highways to play areas. Be patient.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
If the clip was a 'true' show clip, they commonly take six months to have enough added new feathers to have basic flight /glide abilities. But, that assumes a show bird's health /diet.

Most Reactions

Latest posts