How loyal are birds?

Eagle123

Apr 8, 2022
How loyal are birds in real life?
In movies we always see birds getting sad we their owner does and how they bound to their ownerers. But is this true, do they actually like you?? Or do they just think ""food"

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
How loyal are birds in real life?
In movies we always see birds getting sad we their owner does and how they bound to their ownerers. But is this true, do they actually like you?? Or do they just think ""food"
It depends on the bird itself. My cockatiel loves me and is very loyal, but most of my budgies don't care about me lol.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
As so well stated above, it depends of Species and than on the specific Parrot. With older Parrots of size it can take several years to develop a basic relationship in which they develop a trust of us. This is commonly based on the both of you developing a Trust Bond.

It is a very thin line that one wants to develop as having a Parrot only like you can become a problem. As a result, socializing ones Parrot becomes very important. i.e. as a result, it becomes a group bond.

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
When I was sick with pneumonia, my Greenwing built herself a nest in my bedroom closed from a shredded towel, and did not leave my side until I was better.

My red lored amazon once stayed up all night watching over me, because she was "worried."

A bonded parrot? The capacity to love is simply astounding.

Pair bond birds especially... but they can also overbond, and be "too much of a good thing." Jealous, and attacky with anyone who isn't "their person." Socialization is not optional with these guys.

Not so bonded? meh. Who are you?

Birds pick their people. Not the other way around. If you are picked you have a friend for life. If you weren't picked? Don't force yourself on the bird.

It's also a two way street. They are super interactive. It's not when it's convenient for you. It's an everyday thing. They have super high attention needs. They don't take kindly to being ignored. Especially big macs and toos.

Most Reactions

Latest posts