How much does the diet influence the lifespan?

OP
I

Ivan.Vanca

Nov 3, 2019
Slovakia
Parrots
budgies
Thank you, but I absolutely do not understand the meaning from : "I know many people get upset ...." till the end... I am not a native english speaker and I did not understand your point, but it does not matter. My question is : yes, I bought my beloved budgie handicaped with broken wing and a little curved legs. PRobably he had fragile bones.... Maybe he was older than 6 years and 8 months, I do not know.... but I had him for a half of the time like I had my previous 13 years old budgie. And I can not answer the question : Why. He did not seem to be overbred. One my previous female budgie Blue was probably overbred, she had a liver tumor.... But this accident of my beloved budgie will never go away from my head.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I don't feed all those veggies at once, I rotate. If I have green beans they get them, if I have lettace they get that, I offer about three different veggies a day to all my parrots. I put out a big dish with whatever I'm offering on top of the cage, let the birds out, they run, fly , to check it out. At first I was surprised that the budgies ate everything too
Fresh veggies have vitamin A that is missing in seeds, plus other good stuff.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I'm tuning in late to this thread, but I will add my thoughts. My avian vet and I credit three main factors for my Patagonian's longevity.
*His parents were wild caught, so his genetic diversity and robustness is good.
*He has eaten Harrison's, supplemented with fresh stuff as the company recommends.
*I am a paranoid parrot owner who takes constant (often comical, so I'm told!) precautions regarding environment and supervision.
:)

Interesting and salient points, Gail! Of all the birds I've lived with, the Goffins are most robust. Both parents were wild-caught, and their three offspring are extremely hardy. They were switched to Harrison's later in life, just about one year ago.

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
I was searching harrisons seeds but didn't find, everything was pellets. Maybe on this side where I was searching weren't available or they aren't at all

Wysłane z mojego Redmi 5 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Most Reactions