How much is too much?

Catlady53

Nov 7, 2019
Pennsylvania
Parrots
White fronted amazon
Iโ€™m asking for anyone out there to give me hope. My WFA is 47 years old and has had some pretty serious health concerns lately and Iโ€™m so afraid we canโ€™t fix them anymore. Pretty Bird was seen by his vet for a respiratory issue a few months back and we were able to โ€œcureโ€ this by twice daily nebulization with saline and antibiotics. He had labs at that time which came back extremely high uric acids and high triglycerides. He was then given daily sub q fluids for two weeks, put on amino acids to help with his heart issue for the rest of his life, and still keep up the nebulization with just plain sterile saline since he really seemed to like it and it helped him tremendously. His uric acid came down to 8 and he seemed to be doing okay. This past few weeks i Discovered he had a prolapse so I took him to vet and after lab work done again it showed he had high uric acid again at 18. His vet suggested we do barium studies as he was having a hard time maintaining weight(160 grams). vet was worried as he regurgitated some barium meaning things werenโ€™t going through GI tract normally. Barium study came back showing something in tract that food was having a hard time passing through. Not sure if this something is a mass or foreign object. studies also showed enlarged heart. Doctor is worried about treatment for both heart and kidney issues as these treatments work against each other. This is where his vet said the euthanasia word. Iโ€™ve been crying ever since. In your experience, is there anything else I can do to keep my little green man going strong. He has days where he eats very well and then he has days where you can tell heโ€™s not feeling well. He still talks and squawks and mimics his surroundings but he does tire easily. Please help me keep my hope alive. He is going to vet today to start three times weekly sub q fluids and vet is putting him on allopurinol. Please tell me Iโ€™m not crazy trying whatever it takes to help him.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
An Amazon (Parrots in General) are members of our family and having deeply woven affection for our family members is normal. For us not to try whatever it takes would in my mind be crazy. The goal is; providing your family member with a comfortable /loved life. As long as your dear guy is not suffering as a result of the treatment(s) continuing to provide support is appropriate.

Even with all the medical support, at some point, his body will not be able to continue and he will pass to await you on the other side of Rainbow Bridge. In the meantime love your dear family member with all you heart as he knows you love him.

OP
Catlady53

Catlady53

Nov 7, 2019
Pennsylvania
Parrots
White fronted amazon
An Amazon (Parrots in General) are members of our family and having deeply woven affection for our family members is normal. For us not to try whatever it takes would in my mind be crazy. The goal is; providing your family member with a comfortable /loved life. As long as your dear guy is not suffering as a result of the treatment(s) continuing to provide support is appropriate.

Even with all the medical support, at some point, his body will not be able to continue and he will pass to await you on the other side of Rainbow Bridge. In the meantime love your dear family member with all you heart as he knows you love him.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hi ! Your love for him is very apparent. Knowing full well what Avian Vet care costs, that alone speaks volumes. None of here on the FORUM are vets or qualified to give medical advice, especially in an advanced case like this one. But we can offer our support and good thoughts. I have never had a parrot that was as old or with such advanced medical issues ( but I have lost a dear one, suddenly w/no warnng) But if Salty had similar issues to Pretty Bird, man, I would mortgage the house to give him the best medical care possible.

'Boats said it best (thanks bud), "The goal is; providing your family member with a comfortable /loved life. As long as your dear guy is not suffering as a result of the treatment(s) continuing to provide support is appropriate.".

I might only ask if he has gotten a second opinion from an equally competent Avian Vet ( NO dog or cat vets!!).

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
My Quaker had a medically tough life and was getting very old. While she still enjoyed life i was happy to do whatever I could to keep her as well as possible.

She just kind of drifted away and did not wake up one morning. I was terribly sad but Iโ€™m sure it WAS time for her. She didnโ€™t have as many good happy moments any more.

But I still miss her every day.

Make the wisest and kindest decisions you can for your old grandpa bird. Thatโ€™s the best you can do. Give him love while he is here.

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I'm so sorry for what you and Pretty Bird are going through.
I also believe that you will know when the time comes. For me, it's when the quality of life isn't there anymore. It sounds like your guy is still fighting, and still enjoying his life; as long as he is I would do everything I could to help him, if he were mine.
Sending prayers of hope to you, and ones of healing to Pretty Bird.

Most Reactions