How much of the day does your bird spend being crazy!!!

izzieschickies

Oct 3, 2021
Hey guys I’m curious to see how often and for how long your birds are just bouncing around and hyper!!

I’d also like to know what species you guys think is the most chill, play time every day of course but not all day haha

The birds I’m really interested in right now are derbyan parakeets, eclectus, peach front conures, and half moon conures so info about them is much appreciated!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The larger Parrots tend to be more selected on when and what they expend energy on. Seeing a MAC bouncing about ones home is far less common than a parakeet. That does not mean they will not greet the morning with a level of gusto.

OP
I

izzieschickies

Oct 3, 2021
The larger Parrots tend to be more selected on when and what they expend energy on. Seeing a MAC bouncing about ones home is far less common than a parakeet. That does not mean they will not greet the morning with a level of gusto.
Thanks for this info sailboat,
That was what I thought!

What about your amazon what would you say their daily behaviour is like?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I do not recommend Amazons to the faint-of-heart as their sweet times and their Hormonal times can be vastly different and require that individuals to understand their body language as they 'expect' one to understand it.

They can be near silent and moments later, waking-up the neighbors two houses away. They can be true sweet hearts or cause major damage. Humans that love Amazons take the time to develop a six sense regarding keep a mental tab on the emotional status of their Amazon.

It is possible that no one will know that you have a Parrot until they wake-up everyone around your home as they greet the Sunrise or the Sunset or mid-day, or any other time of the day just cause they can.

I have had Amazons for over 50 years and would not be without one. That said, there are individuals that have great fear of their Amazon because they ended-up in the emergency room with serve fascial wounds.

Amazons are one of the most common Parrots left in rescues because uninformed Humans elected to get one because they are pretty or cute or appear sweet or just because someone 'wanted' one!

Amazon's are Parrots that is best to allow the Parrot to choose you!! They know who they will do well with.

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
My answer would have to be "never" for any of the three parrots I've lived with. QP Ralph keeps busy and can be playful but he isn't the bouncing off the walls type. George the YCA could get a little wound up at times but it was confined to lots of acrobatics (up, down and around in his cage, over and over and over), or jousting with his big stainless steel bell. Scooter the CAG liked to put on acrobatic exhibitions too, but wasn't quite as enthusiastic as George.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Gotta say my experience with Salty is outside a lot of Amazon common denominators in a lot of respects. Keep in mind he is a Yellow Shoulder Amazon, not one of the HOT three, which are 90% of the one most people have. YSA's are noted as being milder in temperment then the hot 3, especially during mating season. Yes and No. WHen Salty is having a strong hormone season, he is just as quick tempered and liable to bite unaccountably as any 'Zon, but so far ( 7 years) thats only been 1 or 2. Most so far, he is more grouchy then murderous. And his worst bite was no where close to what my good friend Jim's (R.I.P.) Amy ( a BFA ) has done to me-no wonder, he is 2X the size of Salty !!

As far as nutty, crazy behavior, he is right up there though. WHen he plays with his toys, he goes full bore Amazon, making all sorts of crazed, infuriated sounds, especially with his bell. He has a love/hate thing with that; sometimes scratching himself with the edge of it, sometimes attacking it so violently I worry about him hurting himself ! All the common parrot stuff - hanging by 1 toe, getting himself into weird positions and stuff. But noise wise, he is not the norm, since he is totally quiet in the AM - until he comes out of his cage, usually around 2:00PM - after that he breaks into song or talking or just yelling. ANd some things set him off. Youtube videos of other Amazons gets him yelling. Videos of Pingnecks however get him talking - a lot! He always asks the parrot on screen "Are you a bird? A pretty bird?" Thats a given. Then he starts to run thru all the things he has learned from Ringnecks, which is a lot.

But what really sets him off the charts is when my wife goes into the kitchen and starts to make dinner. OMG is he loud then, yelling and all kinds of horrible deep BBRRAAACCKKKK sounds. The wife has a good sense of humor to keep cooking thru all of it. SOmetimes she can redirect it by singing, which he follows along with, or defuses it by whispering to him, but most time it's just woman up and take it.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Merlin my (male?) Green cheek Amazon is very active and playful.
I guess I would say 50% of the time.
Luna my (female?) Green Cheek amazon maybe only 10%.
Not that she is not active just not crazy playful.

Bingo male YNA only about 20% of the time.

Bella my female CAG is hard to describe.
When she plays with her toys she is very quiet about it.
Almost as if she doesn’t want us to notice her.
And she talks to her toys when playing
she doesn’t go crazy unless something scars her.

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
So i have a green cheek conure called albie and i have to say, he is none stop. Right now hes on my chest, yelling for no reason other than its fun ,at bed time he wouldnt settle and go to sleep like he wanted instead he spent 3 hours just chattering loudly to himself,he just wouldnt shut up hahah . He can chill if he wants to buy hed much rather create mischief. I cant take my eyes off him for a second. Its like running after a toddler (not that id change him for the world )

He can settle on my knee for some scritches and as it gets close to bed time he will chill put in my hand for a short while but he has none stop energy ....i wish i could tap into it somedays !

OP
I

izzieschickies

Oct 3, 2021
I do not recommend Amazons to the faint-of-heart as their sweet times and their Hormonal times can be vastly different and require that individuals to understand their body language as they 'expect' one to understand it.

They can be near silent and moments later, waking-up the neighbors two houses away. They can be true sweet hearts or cause major damage. Humans that love Amazons take the time to develop a six sense regarding keep a mental tab on the emotional status of their Amazon.

It is possible that no one will know that you have a Parrot until they wake-up everyone around your home as they greet the Sunrise or the Sunset or mid-day, or any other time of the day just cause they can.

I have had Amazons for over 50 years and would not be without one. That said, there are individuals that have great fear of their Amazon because they ended-up in the emergency room with serve fascial wounds.

Amazons are one of the most common Parrots left in rescues because uninformed Humans elected to get one because they are pretty or cute or appear sweet or just because someone 'wanted' one!

Amazon's are Parrots that is best to allow the Parrot to choose you!! They know who they will do well with.
Absolutely! Amazons are quite the creation haha
I love them…from a distance :D

OP
I

izzieschickies

Oct 3, 2021
My answer would have to be "never" for any of the three parrots I've lived with. QP Ralph keeps busy and can be playful but he isn't the bouncing off the walls type. George the YCA could get a little wound up at times but it was confined to lots of acrobatics (up, down and around in his cage, over and over and over), or jousting with his big stainless steel bell. Scooter the CAG liked to put on acrobatic exhibitions too, but wasn't quite as enthusiastic as George.
Wow you have quite the range! They all sound like little clowns :)

OP
I

izzieschickies

Oct 3, 2021
I
Gotta say my experience with Salty is outside a lot of Amazon common denominators in a lot of respects. Keep in mind he is a Yellow Shoulder Amazon, not one of the HOT three, which are 90% of the one most people have. YSA's are noted as being milder in temperment then the hot 3, especially during mating season. Yes and No. WHen Salty is having a strong hormone season, he is just as quick tempered and liable to bite unaccountably as any 'Zon, but so far ( 7 years) thats only been 1 or 2. Most so far, he is more grouchy then murderous. And his worst bite was no where close to what my good friend Jim's (R.I.P.) Amy ( a BFA ) has done to me-no wonder, he is 2X the size of Salty !!

As far as nutty, crazy behavior, he is right up there though. WHen he plays with his toys, he goes full bore Amazon, making all sorts of crazed, infuriated sounds, especially with his bell. He has a love/hate thing with that; sometimes scratching himself with the edge of it, sometimes attacking it so violently I worry about him hurting himself ! All the common parrot stuff - hanging by 1 toe, getting himself into weird positions and stuff. But noise wise, he is not the norm, since he is totally quiet in the AM - until he comes out of his cage, usually around 2:00PM - after that he breaks into song or talking or just yelling. ANd some things set him off. Youtube videos of other Amazons gets him yelling. Videos of Pingnecks however get him talking - a lot! He always asks the parrot on screen "Are you a bird? A pretty bird?" Thats a given. Then he starts to run thru all the things he has learned from Ringnecks, which is a lot.

But what really sets him off the charts is when my wife goes into the kitchen and starts to make dinner. OMG is he loud then, yelling and all kinds of horrible deep BBRRAAACCKKKK sounds. The wife has a good sense of humor to keep cooking thru all of it. SOmetimes she can redirect it by singing, which he follows along with, or defuses it by whispering to him, but most time it's just woman up and take it.
just love hearing about salty lol, the funniest little bird!

OP
I

izzieschickies

Oct 3, 2021
So i have a green cheek conure called albie and i have to say, he is none stop. Right now hes on my chest, yelling for no reason other than its fun ,at bed time he wouldnt settle and go to sleep like he wanted instead he spent 3 hours just chattering loudly to himself,he just wouldnt shut up hahah . He can chill if he wants to buy hed much rather create mischief. I cant take my eyes off him for a second. Its like running after a toddler (not that id change him for the world )

He can settle on my knee for some scritches and as it gets close to bed time he will chill put in my hand for a short while but he has none stop energy ....i wish i could tap into it somedays !
Haha he sounds like a handful!

Most Reactions