How much weight did your baby lose during weaning?

Jun 19, 2017
Yoshi turned 8 weeks old on Sunday, and he's down to 2 feedings a day now. He went down to 2 feedings a little over a week ago, because he took flight and that was when I decided to do it. However, he doesn't seem to want to eat his pellet and is being more stubborn than I am, and is losing weight. I know it's normal for babies to lose weight during weaning, but I was just wondering how much is normal for weight loss. Wondering if other people have experienced this and have stories or advice? Thanks!

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
okay don't take what I say as prophecy, just my thoughts.

I would go back to feeding all the time. From what I gather with hand feeding, you should offer food for them and even show them it's food by trying some and only stop a feeding if the bird is eating the other food offered at the time and to keep this up until the bird refuses to eat the formula

I was also under the impression that even when weaning they should still be gaining weight

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
okay don't take what I say as prophecy, just my thoughts.

I would go back to feeding all the time. From what I gather with hand feeding, you should offer food for them and even show them it's food by trying some and only stop a feeding if the bird is eating the other food offered at the time and to keep this up until the bird refuses to eat the formula

I was also under the impression that even when weaning they should still be gaining weight

Well stated! The goal is that the Parrot never feels hungry! There is a wonderful active Thread in the Amazon Forum that is following a baby BFA and it would be very informative for you!

FYI: It's (probably) a girl! Introducing my new baby BFA

Last edited:

Ladyhawk

Apr 30, 2017
Parrots
Kizzy - (most likely) female blue-fronted Amazon, hatched on May 1, 2017; Gabby - Male double yellowheaded Amazon, hatched, April 1, 1986; died February 22, 2017
Here are just a few things I've learned about weaning:

1) If there's a stressful event, hand-feed more for a couple of days. I had to take Kizzy on a long trip when I had urgent eye surgery. That day and the following day, she had three hand-feedings to sustain her. By the following day, she was eating well on her own again.

2) Eating is a social thing for birds. Whatever Kizzy eats, I eat, too. Sometimes she won't try it right away, but if she sees me eat it, she will try it at some point. In the mornings, I usually have to get her started this way. I ran out of Harrison's and I don't much like the taste of Lafeber's and Zupreem, so I will eat veggies in front of her if she doesn't get going on her own. XD

3) In the morning especially, hand the baby bits of crumbled pellets and veggies. In the wild, their parents would be stuffing their beaks with edibles.

4) If eating in front of them doesn't work and handing them bits of food doesn't work, you will have to jumpstart Yoshi by hand-feeding him a small amount of formula. Hand-feeding is more than just nourishment. You are assuring the bird that he is still part of the flock and that you love him. Without those bonds, he will resort to begging until he feels secure again. Unfortunately, a baby bird can starve to death due to regression.

5) I don't like percentages. If someone tells you it's OK if the bird loses X% amount of weight, there are some "what ifs." What if my baby is naturally petite and got really, really fat during the weeks of hand-feeding? She could lose more than what is considered "OK" and still be fine. What if my baby was already on the skinny side? If he loses too large a percentage he could be in trouble. What if I'm allowing my baby to fly and the percentages are skewed to represent the weight of a clipped bird?

If you think Yoshi is too thin, I would go back to three feedings a day until his little belly is rounded and then start over. If they've eaten on their own before, usually it isn't too hard to get things rolling again.

I have always "eyeballed" the weight of weaning chicks. Yes, they should be a little on the thin side, but the keel should never stick out, nor should the breast be in a V shape. There should be enough muscle on either side of the keel to make the breast rounded. Every day, I look carefully at Kizzy's breast. If I think she's getting a bit too thin, I hand-feed again. If I think she isn't eating enough food on her own, I hand-feed.

Instead of a schedule, it's more like a give-and-take dance. It's pretty difficult to put a weaning bird on a schedule. Some of my greys took much longer to wean than what the books said, but I didn't cut corners because weaning is a difficult time for any bird and it needs to be done very carefully.

Now I have to wake up my flying toddler and see if she will continue to eat on her own or if I must jumpstart her today. :)

Cheers.

Last edited:
OP
P
Jun 19, 2017
LadyHawk I received your message and wrote you a long reply, but I guess I'm not allowed to message you until I have 20 posts on the forum. I only have 15 right now. So I just wanted you to know I did reply but couldn't send it; I'm not ignoring you! Ha

Ladyhawk

Apr 30, 2017
Parrots
Kizzy - (most likely) female blue-fronted Amazon, hatched on May 1, 2017; Gabby - Male double yellowheaded Amazon, hatched, April 1, 1986; died February 22, 2017
LadyHawk I received your message and wrote you a long reply, but I guess I'm not allowed to message you until I have 20 posts on the forum. I only have 15 right now. So I just wanted you to know I did reply but couldn't send it; I'm not ignoring you! Ha

XD Don't worry about it. I'm just really interested in how Kizzy's "brother" Yoshi is doing. He's such a cute little guy. :green1:

Most Reactions