How to bathe hydrophobic cockatiels?

spaceparrot

Jun 1, 2016
Media
Parrots
Two cockatiels: Sharlett (Cinnamon Pied) and Data (White-Faced Pied)
The only thing I've seen Data more scared of than bathtime is loud noises and the man who sprayed our house for bugs. (When Data first saw him, he ran up me so fast he almost tripped and did a cartwheel!)

But because I'm fighting the war on dust mites (my dad, mom, and I are all allergic to dust mites and I have asthma), I know I need to bathe them more. I'm not sure if dust mites will feed off of powdered down but I don't want to take any chances. It's also good for their health and their breathing when I bathe them. We did so a few weeks back when Sharlett was still laying eggs. She was scared but did some normal "bird things" in the sink. She wouldn't bathe herself but she did poke around a bit. Data, on the other hand, was TERRIFIED! He let us bathe him eventually but he would try to leave the sink and climb on us. Sharlett got more of a bath than he did.

Data has been our hydrophobe since day 1. He will drink water but he is scared of my new fish tank and "bath" is a four letter word to him. I may have made things worse by spraying him directly with the sprayer bottle because I didn't understand how to mist them yet.

Do you have any recommendations on how to get these two to bathe?

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
If I were you I would give the spray bottle another try. If they won't bathe themselves in the water then it is up to you to give them the bath they need but don't necessarily want. Treats may help...

Make sure the spray bottle is filled with clean, fresh water, a little on the warm side, and you can test different ways to spray until they begin to get more comfortable. You don't want to spray them right in the face, but instead try to angle the sprayer up so it cascades down on them gently (spray over their head). You can do this every day if you want, on really hot days I'll spray my tiel with slightly cooler water, and done weekly/daily they should become more comfortable. with it and begin to accept it as aprt of the routine.

Over time they hopefully will become more accepting of it. For that I think it will just be doing it on a daily/weekly basis. That's when you can just try to spray their wings or chest if they want it, never directly in the face. Mist over them (take food out of their cage for this) until they are thoroughly soaked (first couple times don't soak them too much, just enough to give them some moisture and be done with it before they can get too upset with you. They may climb around the cage as you do this, so try to work slowly, be as calm as you can, and instead of following them around frantically with the sprayer, concentrate it on the general top o the cage so it flows over them no matter where they climb to.

YUMgrinder

Mar 20, 2017
Cheyenne, WY
Parrots
-Jazz, Normal Grey Cockatiel /

-Chessie, Pearl Cockatiel /

-Perry, Black capped Conure /

-JoJo, Pineapple GCC /

3 little busy Budgies
agrees with ^^^^

my tiel showed NO interest in bathing for about a year after I got him. Then one day, he loved the shower and now loves the spray bottle. He likes to mimic the spray bottle sound. PSSHHH PSSSHHHHH PSSSSHHH. Just keep exposing them to the bottle or shower or whatever and I think they will come to terms with it eventually lol

OP
spaceparrot

spaceparrot

Jun 1, 2016
Media
Parrots
I sure hope so! It's such a chore to get the little stinkers to bathe! I also wonder if exploring this themselves might help because my tiels seem more calm when I let them do that. I am going to try your suggestions! Thanks!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
The Rickeybird is not a happy bather, especially not in a sink. His species is from an arid land, so maybe that has genetically-ingrained inclinations. Anyway... I have better luck using a great big shallow wok with only a foot-wetting level of water. THAT he'll access, USUALLY!

OP
spaceparrot

spaceparrot

Jun 1, 2016
Media
Parrots
I might have to try that too!

ChrisYNA

Jul 3, 2018
NJ, USA
Parrots
A Yellow-Naped Amazon girl, named Kuba
I use a couple of spray bottles, one in each hand, and attack from two sides. I think I got them at petco at the reptile section. You can adjust the cap thing (screw in or out) for more or less mist.

My Amazon is not crazy about showers, but even if she tries to protest or even run off before I begin, once I do begin, she opens up her wings and seemingly enjoys it. She'll dance and sing when it's over like... look at me, I took a shower!

I'll often find her sticking her head in her water bowl to bathe herself, so I know it's bath time and I take her and do the bottles. I wish she was OK with showers more often, but I'll take what I can get. I wish I could do once a week, but she'll hide in the closet at the sight of a bottle and won't come out. Two weeks is my best hope, longer during winter.

I do a little spray more often... not a full wet-as-a-rat shower, but just a few clicks to wet her feathers somewhat, especially during summer before going out in the sun.

I put in one of those shower stands with suction cups and tried using the regular shower, but that's just not going to happen at this time.

btw, I know that the original owner would force wrap her in a towel and put her in the bathtub, then wash her with shampoo, and so I think she kinda dislikes the whole idea now. She was terrified of towels when I got her. She's enjoys towels now. But as I said, I take what I can get as far as showers are concerned.

Last edited:

condobirds

Jul 13, 2018
I take my birds in the shower with me. I have a shower perch with suction cups that attach to the door or tile. I you have a shower head or hand held adjust the spray to a light rain. The bird may not love it a first but keep trying. My conure is scared of the shower but will hop into a tray of water immediately. Maybe you can place a "bathtub" at the bottom of the cage and he can take his time getting used to it. You can buy a cockatiel bathtub that hooks onto the cage. But it doesn't fit all cage types.

To help with allergies, try an air purifier placed near the bird cage. Definately helps filter dander.

Bogie's Mom

Aug 22, 2021
Media
Parrots
Mccaw
If I were you I would give the spray bottle another try. If they won't bathe themselves in the water then it is up to you to give them the bath they need but don't necessarily want. Treats may help...

Make sure the spray bottle is filled with clean, fresh water, a little on the warm side, and you can test different ways to spray until they begin to get more comfortable. You don't want to spray them right in the face, but instead try to angle the sprayer up so it cascades down on them gently (spray over their head). You can do this every day if you want, on really hot days I'll spray my tiel with slightly cooler water, and done weekly/daily they should become more comfortable. with it and begin to accept it as aprt of the routine.

Over time they hopefully will become more accepting of it. For that I think it will just be doing it on a daily/weekly basis. That's when you can just try to spray their wings or chest if they want it, never directly in the face. Mist over them (take food out of their cage for this) until they are thoroughly soaked (first couple times don't soak them too much, just enough to give them some moisture and be done with it before they can get too upset with you. They may climb around the cage as you do this, so try to work slowly, be as calm as you can, and instead of following them around frantically with the sprayer, concentrate it on the general top o the cage so it flows over them no matter where they climb to.
Hi...how is the war on mites going? I'm at a preventative stage...what is safest, best to dust my macaw with? I work at a petstore...and they have an infestation...so I literally undress in the garage...spritz myself with 91% isopropyl alcohol and go take a hot shower... I can't do this forever. So do you suggest a game plan that I can start at the pet store...we have crickets, birds, fish, reptiles, furries, hissing roaches, turtles crabs... Im at a loss....thank you for any suggestions. Take care.

Most Reactions

Latest posts