How to calm a male’s hormones

Zeytin

Apr 13, 2020
Hello everyone,

My boy lovebird has a hanging perch toy that he regurgitates on and grinds on. I took it away, but now he is trying to do it with a pillow, a new toy, maybe even me? He also makes this “click” sound and walks around in circles or back and forth when he likes a new object, and itches his face. Is this a mating sign or is he just silly?

Last week I made a post asking if I should mate my birds. It turns out that I shouldn’t. So, I’ve been taking steps to deescalate their hormones. They are getting more sleep -sunrise to sunset - and I took away all the nesting materials, paper, etc. The girl has stopped laying eggs, for now. But what other steps should I take regarding the boy? He isn’t laying eggs obviously and he isn’t aggressive, so should I let him have his toy or try to curb his hormonal behavior?

Thanks !

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
This year, for whatever reason, seems to be hot and heavy across the Northern Hemisphere. To limit or at least slow the effect, consider increasing the amount of sleep up to 12 hours plus of uninterrupted sleep. Plus, allowing for a couple of naps during the day.

We use the Sun directed method, which assures a full and active Hormonal Season, but not during another parts of the year.

OP
Z

Zeytin

Apr 13, 2020
This year, for whatever reason, seems to be hot and heavy across the Northern Hemisphere. To limit or at least slow the effect, consider increasing the amount of sleep up to 12 hours plus of uninterrupted sleep. Plus, allowing for a couple of naps during the day.

We use the Sun directed method, which assures a full and active Hormonal Season, but not during another parts of the year.

Thank you! What is the sun directed method ?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Everyday, the length of the day changes and depending on the time of year, each day (that part with Sunlight) either becomes longer or shorter.

Using Sun Directed Sleep Pattern has one's Parrot sleeping the same amount of time as a Bird in the great outdoors: Shorter sleep period in the late Spring and Summer and Longer in the Fall and Winter. This method results in an assured yearly Hormonal Season in which the Parrot will react fully to the season.

Most Reactions

Latest posts