How to clean branches for safe use?

GreenCheek

Aug 27, 2009
Baltimore, Maryland
Parrots
1 Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure: Cody <3
I just got a huge piece of a crab apple tree that I cut into a very nice play gym. However, I honestly don't know how to clean it. It's too large to boil, and I was going to just scrub it down real well with vinegar. I already know there were no pesticides used on it. Will this be enough? And what about the lichen? There's a little bit of that on there, and for that I was just going to use some sandpaper and sand it off?

Thanks for your help! :) I'll post some pics of it of course when it's done! :D I can't wait!

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
The best way to clean wood removed from the wild is by debarking it with a strong power washer, at least in the areas that has lichen. Wash with a scrub brush and 1/2 cup bleach in a bucket of water. Do not rinse. Let the sun dry it for a few days.

Mel

Mar 30, 2010
Media
Sydney Australia
Parrots
Eclectus - Shadow /
Sulfur Crested - Chicka
I use similar techniques to GC. I soak mine in the bath in diluted bleach, it makes it really easy to remove loose bark after soaking. I do rince them under the shower but whether you do or don't sun drying for a few days will destroy any bleach that is left on.

OP
GreenCheek

GreenCheek

Aug 27, 2009
Baltimore, Maryland
Parrots
1 Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure: Cody <3
Ok, thanks! :) So, I only have to debark the portion with the lichen? Could I also use vinegar instead of bleach? I don't really trust bleach, and I know that vinegar sanitizes as well.

Last edited:

Mel

Mar 30, 2010
Media
Sydney Australia
Parrots
Eclectus - Shadow /
Sulfur Crested - Chicka
Ok, thanks! :) So, I only have to debark the portion with the lichen? Could I also use vinegar instead of bleach? I don't really trust bleach, and I know that vinegar sanitizes as well.

I don't see why you can't use vinegar, I only use bleach because I'm paraniod about anything the wild bird here may have and feel more confident bleach will kill it - this isn't fact, just me. UV breaks bleach down which is why I sun dry it for a few days I debark the whole branch, again paranoid!!:)

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
In one of my classes on bird care it was stated that you can soak branches in your bathtub with water enough to cover them and about 10-15 drops of GSE (grapefruit seed extract). Bleach is too strong of an odor and vinegar is not strong enough to kill germs. The instructor also said you did not have to de-bark the branches unless it was obvious that bugs were in the wood. You have several good suggestions from the furum members.

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
I agree with the use of GSE, its said to be 100% more effective as a disinfectant than chlorine and is non toxic, good for the birds and the environment..........

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Mel I looked into this before and GSE has another name in your country. Can't remember what it is now but you could do some computer research and find out.

meadiva

Jun 23, 2013
Las Vegas
Parrots
Taffy (Lovebird) Muffin (Budgie) Jellybean (Red Belly African)
if you oven dry can you use a gas oven or does it need to be electric. I saw where someone had said only electric.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
If it fits in the oven, I don't think it matters whether it's gas or electric. Just make sure you let the wood/perch cools before giving it to your bird(s).

I am going to run for cover now, but I don't disinfect the wood I cut off safe trees. I inspect it for bugs, bang it against the ground (outside) to (hopefully) remove tiny critters, put it in the garage for a season and then give it to my fids. I've never had a problem. :54:

JDlugosz

Jun 25, 2013
Parrots
Bronze Wing Pionus
In one of my classes on bird care it was stated that you can soak branches in your bathtub with water enough to cover them and about 10-15 drops of GSE (grapefruit seed extract). Bleach is too strong of an odor and vinegar is not strong enough to kill germs. The instructor also said you did not have to de-bark the branches unless it was obvious that bugs were in the wood. You have several good suggestions from the furum members.

“…studies asserted that the universal antimicrobial benefits associated with GSE are merely from the presence of synthetic preservatives. Natural GSE has no antimicrobial properties.”

I think GSE is bad advice. Certainly in the magical potency of a few drops that is generally promoted, there's just no way. See the Wikipedia entry. Commercial GSE disinfectants really have synthetic benzethonium chloride added. So buy Phermerol and be honest and get accurate strength information. The few drops (of GSE product) in a bathtub is probably not enough active chemical to do much of anything, but a proper antiseptic solution of 1 tsp pure benz.cl. powder to a gallon of water is reported to not be absorbed by (human) skin, but is not approved as a food additive.

—John

JDlugosz

Jun 25, 2013
Parrots
Bronze Wing Pionus
I am going to run for cover now, but I don't disinfect the wood I cut off safe trees. I inspect it for bugs, bang it against the ground (outside) to (hopefully) remove tiny critters, put it in the garage for a season and then give it to my fids. I've never had a problem. :54:

Yes, dessication (drying it out) is a very good preservative. Pathogens require water, and most can't withstand prolonged exposure to dry conditions. Wood, as seen with cutting boards, wicks away moisture and seems to make bacteria just disappear in some studies.

Once the wood is seasoned, just normal surface cleaning like you clean anything else will remove any spores that are present.

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Is it just me or does anyone wonder how birds in the wild survive on the bug infested tree branches that have not been scrubbed, debarked, bleached, baked and sanitized? especially Bird safe wood:confused::)

JDlugosz

Jun 25, 2013
Parrots
Bronze Wing Pionus
Is it just me or does anyone wonder how birds in the wild survive on the bug infested tree branches that have not been scrubbed, debarked, bleached, baked and sanitized? especially Bird safe wood:confused::)

They know the flora in their home region, either through instinct or being taught by what other parrots are doing, or both.

That doesn't work in the home. Even if they knew the species, they might not tell from a bare dry branch what it was originally!

As for germs, wild animals will be exposed to lots. They get some immunity from their parents while their immune system develops, similarly to how we mammals do it but different in detail. Many die. The fraction that survive to adulthood have healthy robust immune systems tuned to the local threats. In captivity, they live in a nearly sterile environment like we do now, and don't develop a healthy immune system, and don't die from childhood diseases either.

Also, living trees in a rainforest have their own defenses against germs. A dead wet branch will get rancid and rotten. A wild bird will know to avoid diseased trees: they look different, and you know how parrots react to differences. That is why.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts