Ezekiell

Jan 31, 2016
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
Māui (white bellied caique)
Iā€™ve got a question for all the more experienced parronts out there. Iā€™m now preparing earnestly for when Māui comes home in 2 months (heā€™s being bird sat by the breeder until we move house) and that includes figuring out how to convert him from seed to pellet diet.

Right now, the breeder feeds all their birds on a seed mix and fresh fruitā€™nā€™veg diet. But when he comes home I dont want to keep feeding him seed mix as Iā€™ve heard thatā€™s too high in fat and generally bad.

Iā€™ve found some pellets suitable for caiques (https://www.parrotbox.com.au/collec...m-sth-american-mix-2kg-south-american-pellets).
But how do I go about converting him over?
Iā€™m also planning to make him work for his food through foraging so Iā€™m thinking I could play off him really liking vegetables to help with converting him to pellets?

Also advice welcome!

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Hi!
A lot of hype, but the ingredients are a concern!
Wheat, corn, soybean, and peanuts!
https://www.vetafarm.com/product/south-american-mix/
Ingredients:
Whole grains (wheat, corn, and soybean), peanuts, vegetable oils, vitamins (A, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B9, B12, D3, E, & H) & minerals (calcium, cobalt, copper, iron, iodine, manganese, & zinc).

Guaranteed Analysis:
Min. Crude Protein 17.0%
Min. Crude Fat 7.0%
Max. Fibre 4.0%
Max. Salt 0.5%

OP
Ezekiell

Ezekiell

Jan 31, 2016
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
Māui (white bellied caique)
Hi!
A lot of hype, but the ingredients are a concern!
Wheat, corn, soybean, and peanuts!
https://www.vetafarm.com/product/south-american-mix/
Ingredients:
Whole grains (wheat, corn, and soybean), peanuts, vegetable oils, vitamins (A, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B9, B12, D3, E, & H) & minerals (calcium, cobalt, copper, iron, iodine, manganese, & zinc).

Guaranteed Analysis:
Min. Crude Protein 17.0%
Min. Crude Fat 7.0%
Max. Fibre 4.0%
Max. Salt 0.5%

What is concerning about the ingredients? Iā€™m completely novice with what Iā€™m looking for in a good pellet. Plus Iā€™m finding bird pellets difficult to find in Australia. Any more appropriate brands I should be looking for? I found I can Harrisonā€™s brand here (https://www.petshopdirect.com.au/shop/category/harrisons-organic), would that be better?

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Unfortunately, largely due to our very strict regulations around quarantine/importation, we donā€™t have such a wide variety of pelletised bird foods available to us in Australia. Roudybush was made by a local onshore manufacturer under license from the parent company until recently but Iā€™m informed by my vet clinic that even that will cease shortly. I currently get Tropimix from parrotsupplies.com.au and my cockatiel and budgie both quite like that, along with their Vetafarm mini pellets. Harrisons is supposed to be a pretty good product but Iā€™ve not tried it on my guys yet.

My GCC did not like the Vetafarm South America mix, but that may just have been his own personal preference. He took to the Vetafarm minis straight away, even though heā€™d been fed a seed diet at the pet shop.

In terms of conversion, you might try the trick I used on my mature age cockatiel who REFUSED to eat pellets on pain of death! I ground them into a powder in a mortar and pestle and sprinkled it over her seed, and after her having resisted all other methods of conversion she started eating her pellets like she had done so all her life!

I think as long as your caique eats his fresh veg every day, just buy the best quality pellet you can find (and that he will eat!) and you should be off to a good start.

Last edited:

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
My concerns on the ingredients are:
Wheat, corn, soy- wheat, not too bad as a diet item. I give my JoJo different types of whole wheat berries occasionally! I buy from local Whole Foods type of stores, great quality, good prices. Home brew stores are another great source! Added benefit here is the grain has been sprouted! I am sure the baking isnā€™t the greatest for many of the nutrients!
Corn is a filler, used to fatten cattle! Soybean has so much controversy around it, I wonā€™t go near it! It is wrong for humans, and the GMO version is a nightmare! Growing up, we had dare contests on who could eat the most dog food! Hey, better than Tide Pods! But, I really, really hate the taste of soy!
I have since learned fermentation converts the hormonal components of soy into something safe!
With peanuts, there is always a risk of contaminated food!
But with all this said, my JoJo gets Tops, Roudybush, and Zupreem! At one time, even Harrisonā€™s, when we used to get it for free!
Your food talks about grains and nuts! But only has peanuts! Not even a real nut!
My JoJo always has a high quality seed mix available, along with his pellet of the day! He has five different seed mixes at the moment, one even has a few sunflower seeds!
Also, I eat nuts daily! Walnuts, almonds, pecans, all unsalted! Besides exercise, one of the best things for your heart!
My JoJo shares these with me!

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I'm a shameless Harrison's fan, so I'll share my usual little blurb. :)

http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/

I feed Harrison's, supplemented by fresh healthy treats. My first, and later, my current avian vet recommended it. My bird loves the pellets now, but to get him converted, my avian vet suggested putting pellets out all day, and putting seeds (his old diet) out for two 15-minute periods a day. That would sustain him but leave him hungry enough to try new stuff. I presume the same technique could be used to get him to eat other healthy stuff, like fruits and vegetables! My guy was eating pellets in a couple of days, and now I can feed a good variety of other stuff, knowing he has the pellets as a basic. Pellets are out all day... fresh treats a few times a day. I also like Harrison's via mail because I never have to worry about out-of-date products.
Another couple of ideas...
My ol' man is an athlete and health nut. He actually EATS all the good stuff, so it's always around. I find that tossing various stuff into the food bowls at random is good... the variations and differences seem to stimulate curiosity and attention.
The other idea... if you can stand it (lol) EAT the stuff in front of the birds, yes. That encourages them. I have also found that if my ol' man eats stuff in front of the bird, the bird WANTS it for himself. Kinda a rivalry thing!

There are many ways to provide a healthy diet... hang in there... you'll find your solution. Good for you for reaching out.

Most Reactions