How to deal with a stubborn bird?

Safamirza🤍

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello :) 👋 This post is in regards to bird training.

I have been attempting on training Kiko and the first thing I started with was recall/flight training. The goal is for him to fly more and for him to fly to us on command.

I have a good idea of HOW to do this, but Kiko is quite stubborn. He really only listens to my brother. I started by having him come on my hand with a treat, but he tries to find ways to avoid getting on my hand and if I move the treat back further he gets mad and bites me. However, when he WANTS to, he comes on my hand and sometimes even stays there and allows kisses. He only likes to play on his own sometimes and receive LOTS of cuddles, kisses and scritches. He’s not a big fan of too much flying or training. 😢

Why is he only giving us a hard time during training or learning tricks? It’s like he doesn’t WANT to be engaged in such activities. I STILL haven’t gotten Kiko on a big veggie diet. He will munch on them sometimes but refuses to eat them as chop or in a good portion, which scares me because I want him to be as healthy as possible and eat his veggies daily.

Can someone provide me tips on how to deal with this stubborn little boy? How can I make him listen to me as much as he does to my brother?

Thanks to anyone who replies :) ❤️
042FBD5C-E870-44FC-88D7-291FED2FF377.jpeg
6FA1FE9A-B967-4A02-8B55-969ECA36EEF6.jpeg

𝕾𝖙𝖔𝖗𝖒𝖞𝕻𝖎𝖈𝖆

2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
How can I make him listen to me as much as he does to my brother?
You can’t make parrots do anything! All you can do is work on your bond with him. Maybe try getting him to step up onto and come to wooden perches? Another approach I have used for stubborn/flighty birds is to put my finger at the end of the perch (like a perch extension) and simply lure the bird onto my finger using millet. Also, don’t move your hand quickly or far the first time he steps onto it. Many birds need to learn how to balance on a moving perch.

OP
Safamirza🤍

Safamirza🤍

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
You can’t make parrots do anything! All you can do is work on your bond with him. Maybe try getting him to step up onto and come to wooden perches? Another approach I have used for stubborn/flighty birds is to put my finger at the end of the perch (like a perch extension) and simply lure the bird onto my finger using millet. Also, don’t move your hand quickly or far the first time he steps onto it. Many birds need to learn how to balance on a moving perch.
Thanks for the tips :) when we are training with our birds, should we do activities daily? can really stubborn birds, at some point, still learn tricks/be trained? Kiko’s progress and lack of engagement makes me want to give up at times and what upsets me more is that he’s a young bird :(

𝕾𝖙𝖔𝖗𝖒𝖞𝕻𝖎𝖈𝖆

2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
when we are training with our birds, should we do activities daily?
Yes, of course. Bonding with your bird is very important, and the more time spent doing enriching activities, the better.
can really stubborn birds, at some point, still learn tricks/be trained?
100% yes. Stormy was very stubborn and flighty when he came to me, but now, he is the best boy, always eager to do tricks and spend time with me, and a total goofball. Try to see what your bird's strengths are. For example, Stormy's strength is flying, so I frequently recall train him. Picasso's strength, however, is her touch-ability and willingness to do tricks that do not involve flying, so I train a lot of those tricks with her.

Most Reactions