How to deal with Kakariki biting behavior?

Pio Pio

Mar 17, 2023
Parrots
Kakariki
Hello,
I have a beautiful Kakariki named Pio Pio : ) (male, born June 29 2022).
He is very social and we let him spend the day out of his cage flying around the house.
Lately, he has become increasingly territorial about his cage, which we all respect, and leave him alone as needed. But more recently, he has been biting me, and even though I try to observe what triggers (or reinforce) this, I do not seem to find a pattern. Today, thinking that maybe he wants connection/attention, I was seating eating oranges with him, talking. He was in my arm and shoulder, All appeared to be fine. He flew away as usual to explore around the house, and then came back when I was seating in the coach and bit me hard in one hand (i was not talking or moving my hands at the moment). I tried not to react and decided to take him inside his cage (as he has bitten me, and other family members) several times today.
I am wondering what may be going on, and/or how to best address this behavior?
I read before that kakarikis can get hormonal and territorial in their first year of life; is this what might be going on?
Thank you for any advice you may have!!
0E4BC950-C561-45D4-AFF1-CF0AD918B323.jpg

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Welcome to the forum, Pio Pio is gorgeous!

I googled it and read that Kakariki's reach sexual maturity at 5 months (wow!).
Perhaps he is hormonal and that has changed his attitude temporarily? Has anything else changed in his behaviour?

How long have you had him?

If the reason isn't hormones, I'm sure that with love and patience you'll have back the loving bird you're used to. If it's hormones, you just have to wait it out.

OP
Pio Pio

Pio Pio

Mar 17, 2023
Parrots
Kakariki
Welcome to the forum, Pio Pio is gorgeous!

I googled it and read that Kakariki's reach sexual maturity at 5 months (wow!).
Perhaps he is hormonal and that has changed his attitude temporarily? Has anything else changed in his behaviour?

How long have you had him?

If the reason isn't hormones, I'm sure that with love and patience you'll have back the loving bird you're used to. If it's hormones, you just have to wait it out.
Thank you so much for the welcome and support! This is very helpful and I appreciate the information you shared.
Pio Pio has been in our home for 6 months now (and he is about 8 months old). Nothing has changed in the environment (i think...);
Initially I had noticed that in the morning he was fine, but as the day went own, he was increasingly territorial. More recently he is this way throughout the day and is biting us more often.
It is encouraging to think that if it is hormonal, this could get better as we wait. Fingers crossed! I may observe how he does if we take him to his cage when he bites or seems more upset; not as a punishment, but to "give him space" and keep everyone bite/pain free if we can : ) Thank you so much! Advice and info very helpful.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
You're very welcome! I think putting him into his cage to give him space is a great idea, for you and him both. I hope that soon he is back to the sweet boy he was before this started:)

Most Reactions

Latest posts